Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing the Libraries and Homegroup groups from navigation panes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ubtree

Ubtree

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I understand the purpose of Libraries and Homegroup but have no use for either.  I would therefore like to remove them both from all navigation panes (including that of Windows Explorer, and those of Microsoft Office all other programs).

I have come across threads that show how to remove "Libraries" from Windows Explorer (but only from Windows Explorer) and how to stop individual libraries being shown.  But I've been unable to find any information on removing the Libraries group as a whole, or remove HomeGroup from the navigation panes of all programs.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Should be able to just right click and choose remove.  As for Home Group, that gets turned off on any Windows 7 or 8 machine that I manage.  Worse thing MS ever came up with.  See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/586-library-remove-included-folder.html regarding the Libraries.  As for Home Group, you would just "Leave" the home group in Home group.

Edited by Greg62702, 13 January 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#3 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi.  Thank you for the response.

Should be able to just right click and choose remove.

Right-click what, in which program?  Right-clicking a library in WIndows Explorer allows it to be removed, but still leaves the Libraries group heading in place.  Even with no libraries, the heading and following blank line take 2 lines.

As for Home Group, you would just "Leave" the home group in Home group.

I have never joined a homegroup, and am not in a homegroup.  But as is the case with libraries, the Homegroup heading and following blank line are still there in every navigational dialog.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

They will always be there, until you edit the Registry.  I just leave those and ignore them, when I use the Folders setting in Explorer on my Son's laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users