Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking for a suggestions on a very good typing keyboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Greetings,

I was simply wanting some suggestions on an above average keyboard for someone, like myself, who loves to type. The last good keyboard I had was a Microsoft natural keyboard Original. It was a half-way good keyboard for a typist. I kick myself for getting rid of it. However, it still felt kind of "plastic-y"/"cheapy" and it had that infamous plastic-screech and creek sound sometimes when using it that kind of re-inforced the fact that it was made kind of cheaply and "plasticky", and that I shouldn't lean on it too hard or it might break. I was hoping to possibly find a different keyboard that might be a little bit better still than that one was.

Thanks for any suggestions..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

Other than good for typing, what features are you looking to get?

Do you want an ergonomic split keyboard or will a standard setup work for you?

Wired or wireless?

Personally I use the Logitch G510  Mostly used for gaming, but build very sturdy.  The G-Keys on the left can be programmed.  While this may seem like a gaming only application they can also be programed with frequently used phrases.

Or you can go old school with the IBM Model M Keyboard

#3 Punchy71

Punchy71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Will an IBM model M keyboard plug into a modern PC and work or will they require some sort of adapter, driver and other mucking around to get them to work. The reason I ask this is because the design is very old by computer standards.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I believe they use a PS2 port.

Here's one that is coming soon - RGB LED backlit Cherry MX switch

You might want to search for Cherry MX Blue, Brown, or Red switches.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

See if this helps.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380376,00.asp

I use a Razer BlackWidow and love it.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

These are very "old school" with heavy build quality and clicky mechanical switches - http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/Keyboards/Office/G80_3000_MX/index.htm  Not cheap, but quality rarely is.  I think the Cherry MX switches are great, but if you have a preference for the buckling spring old IBM style keyboards then you don't have to buy an old IBM keyboard.  This company bought the rights to make the design and still sell them (and in USB versions as well) - Unicomp Inc.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 January 2014 - 09:00 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users