Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Damaged

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nintendo1889

nintendo1889

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

My windows xp installation was damaged by this virus:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/87c4d399201141edf5319997c6d15cd749fcd467e729e2e0c402f7fa81a4cfd6/analysis/

The symptom I noticed is that it put files that were already on my hard drive, and put these same files in many 

other folders on my. These files were not infected, though. A scan with an updated Avast (obtained on a clean 

computer) through ubcd4win showed no viruses though.

I tried doing an inplace reinstall from my xp pro cd but it was a volume cd. It never gave me the Repair an 

installation option. It installed to a separate folder c:\windows.0 and installed the users to c:\docs and 

settings\all users.0, etc.... So all the data is still there and I get a boot.ini menu to boot my old OS. I get a 

0x0000007b error when I tried to boot. I enabled boot logging but I can't find the boot logs. I used my microsoft 

XP DaRT/ERD Commander cd, but it shows no restore points.  The system also blue-screens when I attempt to boot into safe mode.

Here's my boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

[spybotsd]
timeout.old=30

I am thinking I just need to bite the bullet and use the fresh install, but I wanted to ask here first. Most of my 

apps I use are portable already, just trying to avoid reinstalling all my apps that weren't portable.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users