Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Networking questions. Powerline, wireless, additional adapters & TV?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ccualumni

ccualumni

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

My wireless setup works just fine, but I want to tweak a couple of things. 

My basic setup is:

Windows 7 laptop, ipad, iphone and an older pC hooked up directly to the router

Wireless router and a 2nd wireless router running on Tomato connected directly to the primary router. the 2nd router seems to get a better wireless signal in my driveway.  

powerline connected to 1 adapter that has 1 TV connected to it (LG smart TV). Powerline is a Linksys PSL300. 

I have direcTV with the Genie system

My questions: 

1. I have an HDTV that does not have internet access or wireless capabilities. What would be the best way to connect it to the internet so that I could watch Netflix (may want to watch other stuff as well)?

...... A. I was thinking a USB wireless dongle or maybe Google Chromecast as it is $35 and about the cheapest option I can find. My 2nd option would be to buy a Roku (never had one before) and hook it up to my TV (may be the best option). 

2. I use a powerline network adapter to connect my other TV to the Internet as the wireless was very slow and kept pausing/stuttering when watching Hulu. It works very well with the powerline and has no issues.  

...A. I was thinking that I could set up a 2nd adapter to my powerline and use it to hook up my TV that does not have Internet access. When reviewing my options for a 2nd powerline adapter, I noticed that there are several powerline adapters that will send out a wireless signal and of course that I can probably get a faster connection with a newer powerline unit. 

My question: Does anyone have a suggestion or have used a powerline unit that puts out a wireless signal? Does it just extend your signal or does it send out its own signal? If I want to upgrade my powerline unit, should I upgrade to the wireless one? 

I researched numerous articles and based on the feedback system on Amazon, it looks like following units are top picks: 

TP-LINK TL-PA511 KIT AV500 Powerline Gigabit Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps Linksys Powerline AV Wireless Network Extender (PLWK400) [Wireless unit]

The difference seems to be that the Port shows as 10/100M Port and 10/100/1000 Port. Would getting the 1000 Port do anything or is it worth getting? 

I also noted that some say that do not support Gigabit ethernet, but I am not sure what that means. I looked up online and was confused whether or not I needed it. 

I know that is a ton of questions, but was curious what I should do before moving forward. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Edited by ccualumni, 12 January 2014 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

I use a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray for watching Netflix & Amazon.  I tried Wifi, but ended up just going with Wired Ethernet to the Sony.

Can you post a drawing of what your Network actually looks like, to better visualize.  Google Sketch-up has images that you can use for the various Network devices.

As for my network layout, I have my U-Verse gateway downstairs on a shelf, along with my Lenovo ix2-4 NAS a Samknows "Whitebox" on top of the NAS, and a Netgear GS108 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for the six wired connections for my lan, a wired IP camera and for the Ted5000 I use to monitor electric use.

I have one wired connection upstairs in my living room, that goes to a 5-port Trendnet switch, that has the Blu-Ray, a DirecTV HR44 DVR, and a Trendnet TEW-690AP plugged into that one.  In our back bedroom, we have a Netgear WN802T-AP that serves the Playstation back there, my son's laptop and our HP Officejet 4500 Wifi printer.

Right now my network has over 25 devices connected, with five wired devices to the gateway.  I of course found that using the 2-Wire 3800 for Wireless-B & G on some devices, the A/P in the front of the house for those devices in that half of the house and out front, and the Netgear for the back of the house, and out back, until I get farther back, then I jump on the 2-Wire Wireless-G at that point for networking.

I still have on mine three lines that are not connected, due to only using three:  One for the wired IP camera, one for the 5-port switch, and one for the Netgear AP.

As for Gigabit Ethernet, it means that you are capable of having a 1,000 mbps connection Peak between devices or Peers.  Also to add, the ChromeCast has to serve off of the device through the network.  We have one for my son, and it is very slow, when you use the CC for showing Google Chrome on the HDtv.  As for Youtube or Netflix, it is pretty good, since it serves off of those sites, not through the device that you are using to share through CC.

Edited by Greg62702, 12 January 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#3 ccualumni

ccualumni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

I will try to get a visual drawn up, but really appreciate this advice.

I have the w roiiuters in my office, room next to it has the power;line network. Upstairs I have the TV without internet access. If I can find a 3rd powerline adapter, I can just hook up that TV using something up there.

Thanks

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Trendnet makes a couple of different versions of Powerline adapters.  They make a 250mbps and a 500mbps.  Some can also be expanded with just adding extra units on that network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users