Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with computer sleeping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

A while back, my computer would go to sleep, and blue screen during that process somehow. I fixed the issue simply by preventing the computer from sleeping. The computer is super stable otherwise. (It blue screened on me once when I did a "windows experience index" but since that blue screen, it hasn't happened again.)

Anyway, lately I've installed a few devices, and fixed some things up on my computer. I've gotten a new video card, a new heat sink, a new power supply, I've run Memtest86+ cleanly, and checked my HDD's for errors, and everything is clean. So I decided to try to allow the computer to sleep once again to see if these blue screens would come back.

Well, now when I try to put the computer to sleep, (or just let it go to sleep on it's own) it appears that the computer "sleeps" for only about 1 second before it comes back on with the login to your user screen. So essentially it's not sleeping at all. It's really just logging out, or something.

Any ideas out there for what steps I can take to resolve this issue?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hi,

Can you give us a bit more information on the system? Operating system? Security software and version? I will assume that all are up to date.

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, service pack 1.

Computer specs are: 8gb ram, 64-bit operating system, Intel Core 2 duo CPU @ 3Ghz.

I also am using a Wacom Tablet as my "Mouse Input Device." It has certainly given me issues with programs in the past, but I wouldn't think it has a problem with the computer sleeping...unless it is sending some weird input once the computer sleeps, essentially waking the computer up again. I have made sure my tablet drivers are all up to date.

My antivirus software is Avast! Free antivirus - Program version 2014.9.0.2011 - and it is telling me it is up to date.

I'm thinking that is all you may need. But if there are any other specs you're looking for I'd be happy to supply them!

Thanks!

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

Do you have your system set to wake up via the 'mouse'?

Could something be touching the tablet while the computer sleeps to wwke it up?

Just thoughts

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

There are some troubleshooting steps you can try here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518975/computer-will-not-go-to-sleep/

The powercfg -lastwake command would be a good place to start. You can see what caused it to wake up.

Edited by lti, 14 January 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#6 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Cool, I just used the powercfg -lastwake command and got the following results...

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&25175ac2&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

So it looks like it's a USB Hub that is connected to my computer.

I have an external 4-port hub, I have a card reader, and I have an internal hub connected directly to the motherboard...

I've tried simply unplugging the 4-port hub, and the card reader, and no dice. Is there a possibility that it is the hub that is connected to the motherboard?

From the other thread it looked like this might be a helpful post:

I used the "override" parameter in the Powercfg (CMD) mode:

powercfg -requestsoverride

usage, ie, if PC is waking up without a user input:

Usage: POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE <CALLER_TYPE> <NAME> <REQUEST>
<CALLER_TYPE> Specifies one of the following caller type: PROCESS, SERVICE, DRIVER. This is obtained by calling the POWERCFG -REQUESTS command.

<NAME> Specifies the caller name. This is the name returned from calling POWERCFG -REQUESTS command.
<REQUEST> Specifies one or more of the following Power. Request Types: Display, System, Awaymode.

Example: POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS wmplayer.exe Display System

However I wasn't exactly sure what I should put in under <caller_type><name><request>...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users