Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows startup problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DIYTim

DIYTim

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

One of my laptops is a Compaq CQ50 with Windows 7 installed on it.  The operating system is up-to-date as of yesterday and the computer was operating normally when closed down last night.

Today when my wife attempted to start it up it immediately went into a mode where it decided to try to install 20000+ registry updates.  When this was brought to my attention I closed it down.  

The result of this is that windows will no longer load up.  It will recognize that a cd has been put into the drive but that is all.

What has happened to cause this and how can I recover the system?

Thanks for you help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Use a windows 7 install disk and recover the partition.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

If this computer will go as far as the BIOS screen ( then one right at the start, probably with 'Compaq' all over it ), try and get to the 'Boot' menu. This is often done by pressing the 'F12' or the 'F8' key while the BIOS screen is showing. Then as a first step, use the up and down arrow keys to select 'Last known good configuration' and press enter. This should, after a few minutes or so, return you to the condition the computer was in before it went pear-shaped.

If this doesn't work, shut down, re-boot and this time choose 'Repair Windows'. Again this may give you a working computer after a few minutes, but if it doesn't, it will come up with a screen, which among other options. will give you the choice of advanced repair options. Click on this, and from the next screen choose - it's either - 'Choose a restore point' or 'Restore Windows to an earlier point in time'. I forget the exact wording. This will offer you one restore point, the latest, and give you the option to choose an earlier one. In your case, choose the default, latest, one and let it do it's thing. Again it normally takes a few minutes.

If either of these options work for you, great !  If they don't, post back and we will consider next steps !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 DIYTim

DIYTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hi Chris,

The computer never gets as far as the BIOS screen so I can't get to the point where I can try any of your options.

Is it possible to create a sysem repair disk on another computer which also uses Windows 7 and then use it to repair the damaged computer?

Thanks for your help.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yes you can, and you can get it here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

Just note that Win 7 comes in two flavours - 32 and 64 bit - and the repair discs are different, you need the correct one for your system. If I remember correctly, the repair disc downloads as a .ISO image file which you will need to burn to a CD, but not the image file itself. It has to be 'converted' to the necessary Windows files for it to work. A very good piece of software - widely and freely available - for this is ImgBurn. If you look around BC, you will find several copies of detailed instructions of how to use ImgBurn by DC3 - his instructions are clarity itself !

To use the repair disc once you have it made, all you need to do is power up the computer so you can open a CD/DVD drive, pop the disc in and shutdown. Re-boot and it will ask 'Press any key to boot from CD'. Press any key and it should take you into the repair options as described in the tutorial referenced above..

If this doesn't work for you, then you are looking at doing a complete re-install for which you will need your install disc. But no doubt you have data on the computer you would like to keep, and a full re-install will wipe it. You can get round this by using a Linux bootable CD to get the system running on Linux to allow you to copy data to an external drive.

I, and many others, have successfully used Puppy Linux for this, which you can get here, along with instructions on how to use it :-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

You create the disc the same way as the Windows repair disc and get it into the computer the same way - power on to get the disc in, then re-boot. You will then find a utility similar to Windows Explorer which will let you copy all your work, photos, music etc. to an external hard drive, thus salvaging your hard created work before doing a full re-install.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

To add to what I said yesterday, here is a link to one of DC3's essays on how to use ImgBurn to create a DVD from an .ISO file. This works for any data that comes to you as an .ISO type file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520833/question-regarding-sfc-scannow/

The problem to which he is replying in the above post is NOT related to your troubles, but his explanation of how to use ImgBurn is !

All credit for this goes to DC3 !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users