Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop enhancement on a budget

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shinnyshin

Shinnyshin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

My faithful old laptop is starting to give out.  Two years ago it started having trouble with newish games.  A year ago it stopped loading into League games in a convenient amount of time; in the last few months I've struggled to run Pandora and League at the same time.  I've only a couple hundred disposable dollars (an optimistic estimate)--not nearly enough to build a proper computer but perhaps enough to give me some breathing room for now.  I was hoping that those far more savvy than I could give me a rundown on what my options are and what the most cost-efficient methods to pursue them would be.  I'm not sure exactly what info would be most helpful so I'll put up a few things at the bottom and gladly send anything else that's necessary.

My goals, I'd like to think, are relatively modest.  I'd like to be able to play Mass Effect 4 (multiplayer especially) on release, and I'd like to be able to play League of Legends smoothly.  That's really about it.

As for ways to improve my comp, I've heard adding memory (DDR2) is one avenue.  My power jack is also getting a bit loose and I think that might be bogging things down, so I could get and try to install a new one.  Apparently Dell Studio jacks are separate parts that can be purchased individually without mucking about in the motherboard.  Anything else I can add please let me know!

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series

Total RAM: 4.0 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Really with Laptops there isn't much you could do. The power jack wouldn't effect performance only battery/power. Your really only options for right now is upgrade the RAM and put in a SSD. Other than that I could only say save your money and build a better rig.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

The only performance issue the power jack will cause is not being able to charge your laptop or run on AC power.

Go to Crucial and find out how much memory your machine can take.  Going to 8GB will make a huge difference in performance, especially running multiple applications.

The only other real upgrade would be to go to a Solid State Drive (SSD).  A SSD has no moving parts and read speeds are much quicker than a mechanical drive.

#4 Shinnyshin

Shinnyshin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

The only performance issue the power jack will cause is not being able to charge your laptop or run on AC power.

Go to Crucial and find out how much memory your machine can take.  Going to 8GB will make a huge difference in performance, especially running multiple applications.

The only other real upgrade would be to go to a Solid State Drive (SSD).  A SSD has no moving parts and read speeds are much quicker than a mechanical drive.

Thankee kindly!  Sounds like this's what I'll shoot for.  Any advice on which of the two would give me more bang for the buck and where to shop?

Edit: As for the power jack thing, it's more aboot how readily it becomes misaligned, which causes all sorts of speed problems.  But normally isn't much of a hindrance.

Edited by Shinnyshin, 13 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do for a machine.  If you have to pick one of the two pick RAM.

A SSD will make your machine boot faster and load faster, but after the data is loaded RAM takes over.

So, RAM is something you will use all of the time and a SSD is only noticed when loading data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users