Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please explain me the integrated graphics alongside nvidia processor...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

So, I have NVIDIA GTX 670 and i7 4770K, but only NVIDIA one is shown in device manager and I can't seem to use HD 4600 at all. My brother's laptop can use integrated graphics and if stuff gets too intense, AMD graphics is run to make things smoother. Can I do this on my desktop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Short answer - No !

You install a graphics card into a desktop to get better graphics performance than the graphic processor built into the motherboard, then you connect your monitor to the output from the graphics card. You cannot connect the mobo's built-in graphics output to the monitor at the same time. Without knowing the details, I think your brother's understanding of how the graphics work on his laptop is lacking in detail !  I may be wrong - and I am always open to correction - but if your brother's lapptop has an AMD graphics card built in, then that is where his video output comes from.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have a dual graphics card setup on an Asus G62 like A6Tech mentioned... It's a power saving feature. Never heard of this on a desktop though.

edit: I didn't realize this machine had this until I installed Linux on it, then had a hell of a time to make them work in the same way.

Edited by TsVk!, 12 January 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

You can run both the cards at the same time to drive different monitors (on newer mobos), but as far as I can figure because both cards have different outputs you cannot auto hot-swap between them, unlike on specifically designed laptops.

#5 inactivecores

inactivecores

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

To add to what the above posts have said, there's not much reason why you'd want to do this other than power saving. It's fine as it is.

#6 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

OK, thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users