Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked out via BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have a desktop computer that was gifted to me from an educator. It came with a BIOS password lock and won't allow the computer to boot or access to BIOS without the correct password. I have made attempts to boot from a CD or USB via something like linux or knoppix or something to wipe everything but nothing helped. How can I bypass/disable the BIOS lock to turn this into a functioning PC again? Any suggestions are welcomed and helpful. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I believe you can reset it just by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes till the circuit runs dry, then replacing it... It's a dime size round battery somewhere on the motherboard.

Make sure you unplug the machine before you do this.

I know you can do it with reset jumpers also, but try the power cycle first.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

You're going to have to reset the BIOS.  We could be of greater assistance if you could let us know the make and model of the machine.  Desktops are generally easier to work with than laptops.

Edited by RKilroy, 13 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users