Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Critique

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of upgrading my approximately 6 year old desktop to something more up to date. I just wanted to hear your opinions and if I might be better upgrading particular things first once it is built or even opinions on overclocking. The specs for the old desktop are as  follows:

AMD 2.1 Ghz dual core processor

3 GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA 9800GT

Very basic Asus Mother board

160 GB Western Digital HDD with Windows 7 64-bit on it

1 TB Western Digital HDD for data

CD/DVD-RW Drive

For the new build I will be moving over the hard drives and optical drive while replacing everything else including the case, specs are as follows:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2zBUV

I am thinking I will upgrade the 160 GB drive to an SSD, add a 2nd GTX 760 for dual SLI, and add in/replace an optical drive to allow bluerays.

The purpose for this PC is for gaming, school work and normal browsing, skype, programming, and possibly live streaming games via twitch/youtube.

In addition I have a 1 TB external drive and a 3 TB external drive which will be connected and network mapped with my laptop and use with VPN.

I have 2-3 monitors..2-19 inch 3-17 inch which will be connected as well until I upgrade to 3-23 inch.

Also any suggestions for a new keyboard, mouse, and surround sound system would be great. I currently have a RAZER Tarantula keyboard and raptorgaming 4-5 button mouse and a logitech 5.1 surround sound system. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

It looks good, but I suggest getting the best single graphics card you can afford rather than messing with SLI/Crossfire.  Multi-GPU setups can be a bit tricky with driver and game support.  As for audio cards, I would go for cards in the Asus Xonar line but HT Omega seems decent too.

3939.png

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

It looks good, but I suggest getting the best single graphics card you can afford rather than messing with SLI/Crossfire.  Multi-GPU setups can be a bit tricky with driver and game support.  As for audio cards, I would go for cards in the Asus Xonar line but HT Omega seems decent too.

Ok that sounds reasonable, I'll just save up for one of the higher end cards then. I never really thought about an audio card, I usually wind up using onboard and hooking up to my 5.1 as is.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Going with an SSD drive will make a huge difference in boot times and load times in games.  I highly recommend going with a SSD, no smaller than 120GB, the bigger the better.

I'm also with DJBPace07 about the graphics card.  Updating your card is probably a better option than going with one of the multi-card solutions.

I'd recommend going with the on board sound and only getting a dedicated card if you have issues with on board sound.  On board sound has come a long way as is evidenced by the number of stand alone solutions available these days.

For keyboard and mouse I use the Logitech G510 keyboard and G500 mouse.

Edited by RKilroy, 13 January 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

For me, I'm a bit of an audiophile and wanted the best audio I could get with high-end headphones, so I ultimately purchased an Asus Xonar D2X.  Stand alone cards can have certain advantages depending on your use case, but by and large, the average user with a low or mid-range speaker setup probably doesn't need a dedicated audio card.  With audio, you are only as strong as your weakest link, so if you have a lossless audio track and an excellent audio card but so-so speakers, you are ultimately wasting money as it won't sound much better.

If you already have a quality speaker, or headphone, setup with lossless or 24-bit audio a quality add-in card may be worth it.  The same is true if you are going to be making or recording music.

3939.png

#6 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

i like mechanical keyboards, but that's kind of a personal choice... for me, I'd stay away from Razer, Logitech, and CM Storm - - steelseries makes great mice, Corsair (always) makes nice stuff, but their k-somethingidontremember keyboard is really nice. I personally like my levetron mech keyboard, if you don't mind going without an illuminated keyboard. I've heard that Roccat makes the best stuff out there, but I've never tried it (too expensive). It's really up to your personal preferences, and how you like your peripherals to feel/act (and I'm all for onboard audio).

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#7 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Oh, and if you haven't tried one, an aluminum mousepad (actually, razer makes a really nice one of these) is something that once you try, you'll never go back...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users