Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude d410 - blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm trying to help a friend with his Dell Latitude D410 Win xp pro. I'm a rank amateur, but know enough to get myself in trouble...

This notebook has no cd/dvd drive or floppy drive, just usb. When you power it on, goes past the DELL splash screen then comes up to 'windows did not start successfully", blah, blah blah, and gives me the choices of safe mode, with networking, with command prompt, last known good config. or start windows normally = tried them all and it keeps coming up to the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH "0x0000007B (0xF8895528,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000).. I even swapped in a known good hard drive and came up to the same BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.  I removed the D410 original hard drive and tried hooking it into my main Dell Studio XPS wind 7 computer to try to access the file system = it did not "see" the drive. I then hook it into a good running Dell D610 Win xp laptop, it took a good number of minutes for the drive to show up, but I couldn't access it. I did double-check the "known good" hard drive by cabling it to other computers and was able to access with no problem and then returned it to it's rightful place in it's properly running laptop. I did a search for "Create bootable USB drives the easy way" and downloaded  "RUFUS"  http://rufus.akeo.ie/ , but when I plugged in the RUFUS loaded usb, hit F12 to boot menu, chose USB, "invalid or damaged bootable partition" came up.   Any ideas?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Do you have all the updates? 

Some BSOD can also be caused by malware/virus infections. 

Edited by Icuw1pc, 12 January 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Failing hard drive would be my guess...or a damaged Windows partition.

Did you run Dell Diagnostics on the drive/system in question?

Louis

#4 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I don't know if all or any of the updates were done. My buddy just mentioned how his computer didn't work... He knows nothing about computers, so I highly doubt sp3 was done or even sp2 - totally unknown.... 

#5 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

I first suspected the hard drive, that's why I tried a known good HD and still came to same BSOD.

#6 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

i found some Dell diagnostics. DST short status test FAIL  error code 1000-0146. please see screen shot.

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Please...run the long test, as it is more conclusive than the short test.  AFAIK, failing the short test is the kiss of death but try to run the long test for confirmation/refutation.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19388110.aspx

Louis

#8 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hey Louis,

I went with the hard drive for a number of reasons, such as: Your educated guess (I'm sure you've seen this many times), I could not access the hard drive and lastly, the failed test. I installed a good formatted hard drive and was going to load win xp via a thumb drive since there is no optical drive . THAT looked like it would be a pain-in-the-arse. I had the cables I used to try to access the bad hard drive, hooked it up to an old internal hard drive, plugged it in the usb and booted/loaded win xp sp2 + sp3, etc. . All is good now! ...  Thank you Louis

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users