Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm pretty sure I am infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zacoru

Zacoru

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hello, 

I own the ASUS S550CA with an intel i5 processor running the windows 8 OS.

Recently, I have noticed a dramatic drop in my processing power -- generally at random times and lasting for a long period of time. I have ran 2 scans since and have had 1 strange occurrence. I ran both Norton's Full Scan and Power Eraser. With no luck on either program, I really didn't have any clue what was going on. For the strange part; I thought that I had a KM(Kernal-Mode) rootkit because it was able to hide it's processes and files. So I tried one last thing, GMER. Now I have known about GMER for a long time and decided to try it on my computer. After downloading it with a random name (qhltcvxh.exe), I ran it and the GUI window came up fine, but immediatly I ran into a blue screen that said "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." Running it in safe mode reveals that I cannot access these 3 locations due to running processes:

C:\windows\system32\config\system

C:\windows\system32\config\software

C:\users\zacoru\ntuser.dat

Nothing was found during the GMER scan.

Could someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

First of all get rid of norton. 90% of the computers we get in the shop I work at either have norton or mcafee. Get malwarebytes and kaspersky, If you don't want to pay for anti-virus get avast which is what i use. Kaspersky is the number 1 rated anti-virus right now and malwarebytes finds the thinks anti-virus software doesn't. The only way to keep your computer virus free is to turn it off and leave it off, the only other way is to run scans weekly.

#3 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Irrelevant. I have a subscription to Norton already. Not that I don't want to get rid of the possible malware, I don't want to spend 200$ on 2 Anitvirus/antimalware packages when I already have one that works most of the time. Also, I just don't have the money to buy either of them. I have already used the trials for both of them. Also to be completely honest, I don't like using other anitvirus programs mainly because I trust norton.

Edited by Zacoru, 12 January 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#4 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Well stay infected then.

Malwarebytes is free and so is avast.

Edited by Icuw1pc, 12 January 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#5 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all your info! It is greatly appreciated that I can come to a website and not get helped by anyone who doesn't just give me personal opinions and preferences. 

#6 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

That was helpful and its not personal preference go to any forum and ask the same question norton is bleep if you don't want to be infected get rig of it. Just because your ignorant to change doesn't make the forum or solution bad.

#7 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Malware bytes is not free, they offer a trial, and after 30 days they ask you to buy it.

hold on while I try avast.

#8 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ 

download the free version and when installing uncheck the 30 day premium trial.

#9 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Also, I tried downloading Avast, but the window popped up and then crashed. I am getting mad now. 

#10 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

So windows crashed or the browser crashed. What browser are you using?

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520599/something-isnt-right-here/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Please do not bump your topic. Do not worry about being forgotten; we have mechanisms in place to ensure that you are not overlooked.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

~Blade
Forum Administrator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users