Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Windows Starter.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mizzie30

Mizzie30

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

My friend has a netbook with Windows 7 Starter on it. I reset his netbook to factory settings to clear some space up and it failed. When I turn it on it says windows failed to start. I was wondering if I can install windows 7 home premeuim on it and still use his windows starter key. He DOSNT have any recovery discs. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

No...different version needs a different license/key.

Louis

#3 Mizzie30

Mizzie30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ok. Any idea how I can get this thing running again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

The computer may have a factory restore partition that will set the computer back to the day it was purchased but any files that are important will have to be copied to a flash drive or external drive. I am not sure as netbooks have rather small hard drives or use a SSD. What is the make and model of the netbook.

If it does not have the factory restore partition then will the person want to install a linux distro like Xbuntu XFCE.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

It will run Windows Pro.  Also most Netbooks are 64bit capable, so you should have no problem loading Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit on it.  What is the mfg & model of this Netbook?

As for Xubuntu, stick with 12.04 LTS.  13.10 is having way too many issues with wireless adapters and display chipsets at this point.  I am using Xubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Toshiba Satellite C850D-ST3NX1, and runs circles around Windows 7 & 8.1.  I do have to still run Windows 7 in Virtual Box for some things, that there are not programs or extensions available in Linux for Google Chrome yet.

Also to add.  Once you get Xubuntu installed, save a image with Clonezilla Live using a USB Pen drive to run Clonezilla.  That way if your friend fubar's the unit, you can just restore the image, without having to spend a day downloading and reinstalling all of the programs again.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'm with Greg on this... my 'preferred' easy distro is Mint right now though. The wife and the kids were used to it inside of a day, had a wireless problem to solve that was a bleep though, as it is Ubuntu based.

Bit of a plunge, but worth it. As long as you're not a gamer/engineer you will have a better computing experience as a whole. IMHO.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

TsVk, I tried Mint, but found too many issues with it.  I like the XFCE interface that Xubuntu uses.  I think I have in the past twenty years, have used everything from Redhat, Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, now Xubuntu.  That does not include Server installs.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

What is the make and model?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Greg... I agree there are some bugs in Mint, not really good for heavy computing just general browsing etc. I use Debian now, also after doing the trials of just about everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users