Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

My cursor keeps freezing up. It'll be working fine for 20 minutes, and then sometimes it doesn't move when I move the mouse, or sometimes it doesn't even do that and stops working, so I have to restart the computer. It does it when I'm online or not. I checked for malware/spyware and viruses, and I don't see anything particularly malicious. It's also not the mouse, because I bought a new one and the cursor acted the same way.

Computer:
Dell OptiPlex GX240 with Windows XP Home Edition

Virus Blocker:
AVG (Free Edition)

Malware/Spyware Blocker:
Ad-aware (Free Edition)

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo, 08 May 2006 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

It's also not the mouse, because I bought a new one and the cursor acted the same way.

Tell us more.

First about the mouse. Is it wireless? Ball or optical? USB or PS2?

Next about the freezing: Does anything else work when this happens? In other words, does the keyboard work? Next time it happens, hit ctrl+alt+del and see if the Task Manager opens. If it does, go to Applications tab and see if there are any aps listed as NOT RESPONDING. Close them and see if the problem goes away.

Also, does this always happen after 20 minutes, or can it happen at different time intervals?

Does your computer ever reboot on it's own?

Is your computer working slower than it used to?

How about right before it freezes, does the computer slow WAY down first, and then freeze?

If you can answer these questions it will help narrow down the cause.

I don't see anything particularly malicious

I don't know what that means. Malicious software is malicious, period. This symptom you are experiencing is a trademark of malicious software being installed on your computer, perhaps we will run more thorough checks if the above ideas do not work.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

The mouse is a ball mouse.

Most times when the cursor freezes, the rest of the computer isn't (the keystrokes work). It doesn't necessarily always happen after 20 minutes, it will do it even after, say, 2 hours; 20 minutes though, seems to be the average time, though.

No, the computer isn't acting slower.

As for the "malicious" thing, I was actually thinking of Ad-aware's Risk Level, which somehow separates malware/spyware into categories.

#4 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

Hey whatdoesthisbuttondo...quite the name...lol...anyway if it's a ball mouse you will have to open the bottom where the ball is located and clean the spindles ...it would be easier to open it right up and then clean the spindles which get gummed up with dirt...A small bit of advice though...with the price of laser and wireless mice you might want to invest in one of those...hope this helps your with your problem...

Kenith :thumbsup:

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:47 PM

Well, if it is a PS2 mouse, get a USB mouse and try that. See if the problem goes away. In fact, you may not even need to buy a whole mouse, as I think you may be able to get a little adaptor that makes the PS2 plug go into USB.

My thought here is that perhaps there is a problem with the mobo concerning the PS2 plug. At least this would be a quick, cheap test.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:54 PM

I actually did the opposite when I switched the mice before. My original mouse has a PS2 plug, and the new one I bought had a USB plug, so I got a PS2 adaptor for it. Where exactly should I plug in the USB mouse? Is it one of the plugs that's near the PS2 plug on my CPU?

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo, 10 May 2006 - 05:55 PM.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

Where exactly should I plug in the USB mouse? Is it one of the plugs that's near the PS2 plug on my CPU?

Yup. (Although "CPU" means Central Processing Unit, and refers to the fingernail-sized chip that really is your computer, and "case," "tower," "box," are usually used to refer to the actual object that holds everything else.)

It's a rectangular slot, the plug will only go in one way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users