Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Beeping, What Does It Mean?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joyce54tx

joyce54tx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520380/computer-occasionally-beeps-after-waking-it-up-from-sleep/ - Hamluis.

My computer beeps 3 times, pauses and keeps beeping 3 times and pausing at start-up- no screen appears- just beeping. Has anyone else experienced this? It is a Dell Vistro computer

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2014 - 11:12 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Likely a memory problem. Try reseating the memory. Another quick check if you have more than one memory stick, is to remove

one at a time. If no beeps then the one not installed is the problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If you have the user's manual, you should be able to find a list of the beep codes.  If you don't have the user's manual I can find the beep codes if you provide the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Perhaps you meant Dell Vostro?

Need model name and number (i.e., Dell Vostro 420) to lookup Beep Codes.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Is the power switch light amber in color and blinking?

I found the beep coeds for the Dell Vostro computers with single digit beep codes.  Three beeps, a pause and then three beeps in a continuous cycle indicates North and South Bridge failure (motherboard), or time of day failure (CMOS battery needs replacing), or a Gate A20 failure (a motherboard keyboard chip controller failure), or a Super I/O Chip failure (interfaces with the South Bridge chip).

It looks like there is a problem with the motherboard.

Edit:  Edited to correct spelling of Vostro.

Edited by dc3, 16 January 2014 - 08:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

It's DELL VOSTRO and the BEEP CODES differ by model and year of manufacture. We need the specific Dell Vostro Model to accurately diagnose any beeps the user is hearing.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

There is the possibility that I am mistaken, but to the best of my knowledge the Dell Vostro uses two types of beep codes.

Type 1.  These utilizes a single beep evenly spaced, these range from one single beep to seven single beeps.  Ex.:  1 beep, 2 beeps, 3 beeps, etc.  These beep codes can be seen at this Dell website

Type 2.  These use a combinations of sets of three beeps.  Ex.:  1-1-2, 1-1-3, 1-1-4, 1-2-1 through 1-2-4, 1-3-1 through 1-3-4, 1-4-1 through 1-4-4, 2-1-1 through 2-1-4, etc.  These beep codes can be seen at this Dell website.

Since joyce54tx posted that the computer beeps 3 times without any indication of any pattern it would be logical to assume that the beep codes would fall under the Type 1 category.

#8 Wildinstincts

Wildinstincts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Unfortunatelly I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista.

I have lots of games in my  laptop but I also use it for work.

My laptop beeps now and then.

I started having problerms with my games, and after several hours and days dealing with unskilled  so called "techs", I finally could talk with some real techs.

They found out that my laptop OVERHEATS BIG TIME, especially playing games, or  using HTML5 programs for design.  That causes the computer to slow down until is freezes completely. They said that eventually it will stop working and die.

I heard those beeps many times while playing games especially. I asume that your computer is trying to warn you: hey, I'm overheating or too much effort to process. Shut me down or I will die in minutes,

It if helps you, design programs and games seem to need lots of processing and you can hear you computer fan making weird noises.

The overheating of Vista is one of the reasons Microsoft dropped Vista for good: no real fix for it.

I recommend that when you hear the beep, shut you computer down for sometime until you can feel your computer is cold again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users