Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD with pictures set to music - How to copy?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

There are 2 files on the DVD one is called AUDIO_TS

and the other is called VIDEO_TS if that helps anything.

I have tried copying them but unsuccessfully.   I don't know what program created them and I'm sort of lost really.

I fumble my way through most everything but DVD playing/ripping, etc. is always a problem for me.

anyway I have a DVD (whats the difference between CD and DVD and how do I tell which it is)? that is very special.

It has pictures of my aunt who is deceased and I don't want it to be lost or damaged so I want to upload it to my dropbox storage and my skydrive and would like to post it on facebook but other than play it I'm unable to figure this out.

Can somebody help me please?  I've been meaning to do this forever and I'd rather do this now than kick myself later when something happens, I lose the CD or it gets damaged.

This media is very special to me so I really do want to protect it.

Does it make a difference how it was recorded?   I don't know what software was used to make it.   Is there a way to find out?

Thanks a whole lot for helping.

Edited by JayJax, 12 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

anyway I have a DVD (whats the difference between CD and DVD and how do I tell which it is)? that is very special.

The only difference is their capacity to handle media storage. Standard CD-R - 700 MB | DVD-R - 4.7 GB depending on the disc media manufacturers http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm

I fumble my way through most everything but DVD playing/ripping, etc. is always a problem for me.

Most media burning programs have online tutorials and features that support different most media formats while some are dedicated to specific burning, converting and media file reading.

There are 2 files on the DVD one is called AUDIO_TS

and the other is called VIDEO_TS if that helps anything.

I have tried copying them but unsuccessfully.   I don't know what program created them and I'm sort of lost really.

The file is a VCD/DVD output file. The VIDEO_TS when using the (DVD/VCD) burning feature of a media software are the only files needed or recognized when a prompt location box opens assuming that the files are saved on your hard drive. To copy/backup your discs is also another option depending on what media software you are using. If the file is a DATA burned disc usually file contents mixed up with pictures, music, movies on folders are the same with how to copy/paste files on your hard drive on a different destination storage.

Tekken

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

thanks for all the detail in your answer I plan to give all this a try in the morning.   too late to try it tonight I'll try in the morning when hopefully it will be just what I needed and able to understand.    Two many ends to my candle lately thank you.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Those are standard DVD files.  What I would recommend is using Handbrake to covert it to an MP4.  The file should be smaller and the format will work on most portable video players, i.e. Kindle Fire and iPad.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Perhaps you could post the burning and converting softwares being used as most members have experienced using different medium in order to provide what steps are amiss during the process of burning or file needs to be converted.

Tekken

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Okay well I'm going to try to work through some of this using the info provided.  Wish me luck and PATIENCE to get it right.  I need to practice on being patient, one of my short suits.

I haven't a clue how to use Handbrake.   I have it downloaded but its over my head.

Edited by JayJax, 14 January 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Is there anywhere I can take the disk to have a copy made?   I don't want to lose it but I don't know what I'm doing and I'm afraid I'm going to screw up the original.  

I can't believe its so complicated to make copies of two files onto my hard drive.   It has the software necessary to play these files/this disk so I'm not understanding any of this.

I do appreciate the effort but I'm in over my head.

I've seen some other programs recommended but all the downloads come with Adaware and I'm hesitant to downloading stuff nowadays.

Even Java, with an update tonight, tried to install Firefox but with ASK as the browser and their toolbar.   I hate ASK - there are few places to turn for downloads that don't come with my headaches than what you're trying to do.

Edited by JayJax, 14 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Try CDBurner XP and see the copy data disc tutorial.

Tekken

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

If you're willing to pay you can try some of SlySoft's products.  I use AnyDVD HD to back my DVDs up to hard drive and then if I want to watch on the iPad or Kindle Fire HD I use Clone DVD Mobile or Handbrake to create the MP4s.  While Handbrake is free and powerful it can be a bit complex.  Clone DVD Mobile has an option to break the chapters into different files, this works well on episodic disks where each episode is its own chapter.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Edited by RKilroy, 15 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#11 lizlee

lizlee

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Hi, do you solve the problem? If not, I suggest you to try Freemake Video Converter, it is free. All you need to do is download and install it onto your computer. Then open it, import DVD to this software, choose MP4 as output format, you also can select other format if you prefer. Then hit Convert button to convert the DVD. Once finished, you will get video off disc. Very simple. But if you want to copy protected DVD, you have to try more professional paid ware to bypass region lock on DVD if have any, disable protection or convert to other format. Wish you good luck!

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm still working for a solution just no time during the week hopefully this weekend I can review my options you all have suggested and get it taken care of.   Thanks for your comments.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hi, do you solve the problem? If not, I suggest you to try Freemake Video Converter, it is free. All you need to do is download and install it onto your computer. Then open it, import DVD to this software, choose MP4 as output format, you also can select other format if you prefer. Then hit Convert button to convert the DVD. Once finished, you will get video off disc. Very simple. But if you want to copy protected DVD, you have to try more professional paid ware to bypass region lock on DVD if have any, disable protection or convert to other format. Wish you good luck!

Do you know where I can download without getting STUFF with it, it seems to be a common plague now even Java is pushing extra stuff with their updates.   Thanks for the good luck wishes I'll probably need them.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

If you're willing to pay you can try some of SlySoft's products.  I use AnyDVD HD to back my DVDs up to hard drive and then if I want to watch on the iPad or Kindle Fire HD I use Clone DVD Mobile or Handbrake to create the MP4s.  While Handbrake is free and powerful it can be a bit complex.  Clone DVD Mobile has an option to break the chapters into different files, this works well on episodic disks where each episode is its own chapter.

I don't think I even know enough to figure it all out with chapters and stuff - its all greek but maybe I'll figure it out how come this is so much more difficult than regular stuff.   I want a program that makes me a genius !  That will work.

Thanks for the info

#15 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Thanks that sounds simple and sweet just the way I like it - will check it out this weekend.

If/when i get it figured out I'll report the results if I don't get it figured out I'll just turn into cosmic dust or something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users