Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015
Microsoft tries to put Windows 8 in the rear-view mirror
Paul Thurrott - Jan. 11, 2014

In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8—just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.

:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

8 is not the next Vista.  Threshold will not be the next Vista.  Vista did not have any problems with it.  This is all just marketing FUD being spread about 8 & Vista.  What the problem is, is that MIcrosoft has forgotten to be a Software company, and now is a Sales & Marketing company.  They are losing market share to other OS platforms.

Microsoft has become their own worse enemy.  7 was my last OS.  Now all I am running is Xubuntu on my Laptop, and use a Google Nexus 7 Android tablet.

Edited by Greg62702, 12 January 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Gee...is Windows going to give me another free update?  :crazy:

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

pc_shipments_3q09-4q13.gif

#5 yoloswaggy

yoloswaggy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

i hate 8.1. time to get linux

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu which is the most popular desktop Linux operating system in the world.

#7 yoloswaggy

yoloswaggy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu which is the most popular desktop Linux operating system in the world.

thanks

#8 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

You're welcome.

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

@ SpywareDoctor

Not fair! No more choices from Linux! I am working on Fatdog64...from what I have read, do like Puppy Power!

#10 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yep, pretty good for its small size.

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

That it is. Amazing how Puppy Linux rescues Windows computers when they crash and will run old systems not ready for the scrap heap.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

i hate 8.1. time to get linux

I went with Xubunt 12.04 LTS 64 bit on my Toshiba Satellite C850D-ST3NX1.  It took me a bit to get Samba to cooperate, but once I did, I cloned the drive with Clonezilla Live on a USB Pen Drive, with the image saved to my NAS.  Got tired of reloading the OS, every time I was trying to get things to play nice.  Now I can access my NAS through NFS or Samba 3.6.3, with no errors.  Took about two weeks of playing around and tweaking.

I will say that Xubuntu is ten times faster on this machine, then 8.1 was.  Even 7 is faster then 8.x will ever be.

#13 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Why is it that distro is so familiar.  Maybe this is why.  "Linspire, previously known as LindowsOS, was a commercial operating system based on Debian GNU/Linux and later Ubuntu.[1] Linspire was published by Linspire, Inc. and focused on ease-of-use, targeting home PC users. The last stable release of Linspire was version 6.0, which was released in October 2007.[2]

On July 1, 2008, Linspire stockholders elected to change the company's name to Digital Cornerstone,[3] and all assets were acquired byXandros.[4]

On August 8, 2008, Andreas Typaldos, CEO of Xandros, announced that Linspire would be discontinued in favor of XandrosFreespire would change its base code from Ubuntu to Debian; and the Linspire brand would cease to exist.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindows

So what used to be known as Lindows, is now called Zorin.

#14 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Zorin OS was created by

artyom-zorin.jpg

Artyom Zorin

whom, last I heard was still attending St. Conleth's College in Dublin, Ireland,

#15 robb39

robb39

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

I am considering Linux as tried win 8.1 and messed up my system. I did a new clean install back to win 8 pro .so far so good. win 8.1 seems to want complete control on what and how I use my computer and that's why I feel the future windows will be the route they are taking. I am not a wiz at using and correcting the system I am using. All I need is a simple system that will let me have control and not complicate my life. Robb39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users