Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Instand Messenger (aim)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

I'm direct connected with my best friend atm so he can send me some files, but I remember reading on an AIM help site a year or so ago about how to find out the IP address of your friend. I had my friend go to command prompt and type in IPconfig to find out his IP. Then I went to command prompt my self and sent some netstat commands. But he said non of those IPs were correct. I was taking a guess on how to find out his IP because I couldn't remember, but does anyone here remember / know how?

Thanks

-TJ
-TJB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'm guessing no one knows?
-TJB

#3 Christopher83

Christopher83

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:47 AM

If he's behind a firewall or some type of NAT device, the address displayed via IP CONFIG will be his private, internal address. The easiest way to get your public address is to go to www.WhatIsMyIP.com.

There are a few times where this will be incorrect, such as if your friend is using a remote proxy server, but those types of situations are usually limited.

#4 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

alright thanks, i'll try that out next time he gets on.
-TJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users