Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP: I cannot get the wifi to function properly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

Initially everything was in order until I purchased a Surround Sound System and the salesman told me I required an additional Wireless AV Adapter so the Surround Sound System can communicate with other devices via wireless.

Now I have 2 Wireless AV Adapter:

1) 2Wire (my original)

2) Belkin (from Salesman)

The salespeople set up everything for me and it worked fine until one day, both my laptops dropped out of wifi and I have not been able to get them connected wirelessly until today.

Only my mobiles phones and tablets are connect via wifi.

When my family came to visit, I could not get their gadgets to connected via wifi.

I have tried unsuccesfully to add any gadget to wifi and worry that I may eventually lose wifi on my mobiles phones and tablet.

I have not been able to trouble shoot; I don't knoe what is causing the problem.

I suspect the Belkin as I have not been able to log into http://Belkin.universal as mentioned in their guide.

Please help me.This problem has persisted for months.

Edited by samoyed, 12 January 2014 - 04:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

What is the belkin model they sold you?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hello.

It's model No. is  F7D4550v1.

Thanks.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

Can I use the Smart TV Link 4 Port to connect other wireless devices?

No.  The Smart TV Link is a wireless bridge which will only connect to your existing wireless router.  This does not offer any functionality for connecting additional wireless devices to this. The unit will only allow Internet connectivity to devices connected via the Ethernet ports.

That is from the FAQ for that device. So you are actually connecting wireless to your 2Wire device. To connect to that device you have to connect to it wired. They sold you the wrong equipment, they should have sold you a range extender with a switch on it.  

Have you unplugged either device and plugged them back in? What security do you have setup on the 2Wire? Do you have any devices plugged into the 2Wire?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have unplugged both adapters; re-plugged 2Wire; completely removed Belkin.

Both laptops are connecetd to 2Wire (these are the 2 laptops which were previoulsy connectd via wifi but then dropped out of wifi and I have not been able to re-establish connection).

2Wire Firewall Settings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24304239@N05/11905957916/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24304239@N05/11905525704/

Edited by samoyed, 12 January 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

If your wifi is dropping, you may be too far away from the 2-wire unit.  Download inSSIDer from http://www.inssider.com and look at your signal strength.  You may need to add a Access Point or two, to allow you better signal quality through out the house.

As for the salesperson that sold you the surround sound system, and told you needed the extra Network equipment, should be smacked.  If you are able to pull a hardline Ethernet to where all the A/V equipment sits, use that over WiFi. 

The best channels are 1, 5, 11 for Wifi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users