Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low FPS while playing games

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 metadingus

metadingus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

(Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this, I wasn't entirely sure where to put it)

Hi,

My laptop is a couple years old now, and I am fully aware that it's getting pretty dated tech-wise. However, even a few months ago I was able to run Bioshock Infinite on medium settings with almost consistent 60FPS (some drops in the big fights). I also used to be able to run League of Legends with upwards of 100 FPS on high settings.

Today however I cannot get League of Legends to /maintain/ 30 FPS even on low. I recently purchased Metal Gear Rising, and according to fraps, have been meandering around 15 FPS. In an attempt to remedy this, I recently updated all of my drivers, at least everything that SlimDrivers can detect and also have done full sweeps with anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-rootkit (took out some pretty nasty stuff actually). While other aspects of my laptop are working nicer (booting up faster, explorer more responsive, etc) games are still suffering in the FPS department.

These are my basic specs: 

Model: Asus Notebook K53SJ, K53SV series
Processor: Intel Core i52410M CPU @ 2.3GHZ
6 Gig of Ram
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT549M Cuda 1GB

While my stuff is definitely getting on the lower end by today's standards, I should be able to run MGR with decent FPS, and should definitely have acceptable framerate in a game like League of LEgends.

This is especially puzzling since the drop in FPS has mostly occurred in the past few months.

Thanks for any help, and let me know if there are any scans/reports I need to post up here..!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Common causes for this sort of problem include insufficient hard drive space - you need a mininum of about 15% of capacity free. Temporary files can build up to very large amounts of hard drive space. A badly defragged hard drive can cause similar effects.

For the first I would suggest 'CCleaner' which you can get from www.piriform.com . this is a very effective little utility for removing temporary files. Be warned - one of its capabilities is to act as a 'Registry cleaner'. You are STRONGLY advised NOT to use this function !  As for de-fragging, the built-in windows defrag utility works quite well, but can take quite a long tim to run - like overnight. If you use the Windows defrag utlity just make sure you have no other programs like screensavers running.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

I would recomend NOT using a program such as slimdrivers, to update your drivers. programs like this often leave you with so much bloatware,  that it leaves your computer as slow as before. Its best to locate the drivers and download straight from the manufacturer.

I also, would recomend defragging the hard drive. Not a fan of CCleaner, but the defragger is ok, even windows defragger isn't a totally bad idea.

Though, in all honesty I doubt your drivers were the problem, it was probably a full hard drive or lots of bloatware/malware. I would recomend running a good anti-virus such as avast and malwarebytes, and going through and eliminating any bloatware you have (like extra toolbars i.e. yahoo toolbar) and the like.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users