Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Innotime2

Innotime2

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Warning, I'm posting this before I hit the bed after messing with this all day. So won't respond until the A.M Hopefully I get some suggestions besides DOA.

I am having a problem with a HDD. I just pulled it from a barely used ps3 actually. And I put it in my HP 2000 Notebook. I tried installing a fresh copy of Win7 x64 Ultimate. I got a couple BSOD errors. First was a 0x0000050 error. This happened directly after the Install option on the disc. I was not able to get to the Format part before that. So I put in a Ubuntu disc and used Gparted. When I opened Gparted it had the red! next to the Drive saying Unallocted space. So I just created a new ntfs partition and that took care of the red! . I then restarted laptop with Win7 disc again and worked no problems up until about 52% of installing the OS. I then get a new BSOD error with 0x00000024. I restarted and this time deleted the partition using the win7 disc instead of just format. That worked and made it all the way to the install. (I am using my other laptop now for this).

Now, I installed Crystal Disc. No problems and it's listed Good.

I installed HDTune prop 5.5 and it says (B8)End to End Error Detected. 98 98 99 2 failed.
Also (c7) Interface CRC Error Count 200 200 0 1 attention

I am currently running the full scan and so far it has no damaged blocks about 50% through.

I have not done chkdsk yet as I am waiting for .NET framework to install so I can then install seatools and try that. But .NET seems to be taking it's sweet old time to download so it's just a wait game before I can run these last 2 tests.

Any idea about the 2 error listed above from HDTune? I will of course update once I get the final two tests done. The HDD was barely used AT ALL.

Now that I've had the actual Win7 install I have already installed quite a few programs such as the ones listed above and also things like firefox, ccleaner , malwarebytes etc and have not received any BSOD just happened while installing.

BTW it's a ST9320325AS 320gb

If I forgot anything or you need anymore info just let me know. From what I googled about the End to End is all different responses from negative nothing to worry about to trash it now lol.

----
Update 1
-----

ust finished the HD Tune Pro Error scan 100% with no errors or damaged blocks.

Still haven't done chkdsk or seagate so will update ASAP.

Sorry another update, Won't keep posting new to TTT the same thread.

I just restarted the laptop and got yet another BSOD. This time it was 0x000000A IRQL_Not_Less etc? I have never seen this many BSOD before with a fresh install of Windows ever. After the BSOD it gave me the option of startup repair or start normally, I hit start normally and no problems started back up. What the HECK?!

---
Update 2
---

I just turned it on and had every BSOD thrown at me lol. So far the HDD passed all tests though is what I don't understand? Could it have anything to do with coming out of a PS3? Anyways take a look at all the BSOD codes I just received..of course now it's running no problem after about the 10th time.

0x000001d

0x0000050 (Page fault in not Page area..I think is what it said) It did this one a couple times actually

0x000001e

0x000000a (IRQL less not Less or equal blah blah blah)

The only thing I will say about this one though is this time it happened after I tried installing the video driver but the video driver still had a code 37 Windows cannot initialize the driver error under device manager.

So far the HDD passed:

-Basic HDD test in BIOS
- HD Tune Pro test (no bad blocks etc)
- Seatools Short Drive self test and Smart test. I now have it running the Fix all Long test so this should be done by morning.

I am clueless. Passes all tests but yet I keep getting the BSOD. In the morning if it works through this fix all long I will do a chkdsk r and then will try another format and windows install. Unless I get any tips or idea on here.

---
Update 3
---
Seatools finished faster than I though. Passed the Fix All Long version no problems. Now running chkdsk /r. Will leave this one on all night but so far is has go through everything no problems. Not sure if I somehow screwed it up with Ubuntu making the new partition which i made it ntfs btw, or if it has some type of firmware messing with it from being inside a ps3? But we'll see. I just don't understand it's passed every single test I put the thing through? Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

This is just a thought, but do you have the HP drivers for the HP2000 ?  Chipset, audio, video, LAN, WLAN and so on ?  If you don't, I would try to download them from the HP web-site.

A standard Windows install disk usually carries generic drivers for a lot of things, but you usually need the manufacturer's drivers as well.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Innotime2

Innotime2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

After turning it on for the first time this morning I got a 0x0000003b Blue screen this time. And I noticed one thing in the last couple error codes. They all said it could possibly be a ram problem..so...

I "MIGHT" have found the problem? I just ran memory test through the control panel + restart. It got to about 6% and said problems were detected please contact computer manf. So could this possibly be causing all the BSOD, a ram stick?

I will find out soon enough when I get a chance to either swap the hdd in another laptop and see if I get any of the blue screen or if I can find some ram laying around. I have my fingers crossed as I am not sure a bad ram stick would cause this many darn different blue screen codes.

UPDATE 2

So after running the chkdsk /r I eventually did another format then deleted the partitions using my windows disc. I re installed windows with no bsod this time, I now installed all updates. no bsod. Have had it running since about 11am est. No problems at all, it even passed the memory test this time...WTH?? All from just format and deleting the partitions. No clue what happened, maybe it did have some type of firmware on hdd from ps3? Or maybe the chkdsk or seatools fixed it? No issues at all for over 8 hours of constant running...so far.

So my only guess besides the obvious possible failing HDD is maybe it had some firmware or something from the ps3 that wasn't erased during the 1st format? Or like I said maybe the chkdsk or seatools fixed it? I will have it running all day tomorrow also.

The only thing I will say is I did put in another HDD with win7 already on that drive and when I first put it in it gave me the x50 BSOD but that was 4 hours ago and I am currently and have been using this same hp 2000 laptop with the new hdd (not ps3) after I restarted and have had no problems? So maybe it was just a driver issue? Computers....what can you say? But again to sum it up so far everything has been downloaded including all updates with no BSOD so far all day today besides first thing in the morning as mentioned. But nothing since the format and partition delete this morning.

#4 Innotime2

Innotime2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Sorry one last thing, I have hear before that sometime after running chkdsk and adding a few windows programs/files then doing another format that does tend to help a drive giving wierd errors, anyone ever hear of such a thing? Seemed to work either way. Thanks for the reply

#5 Innotime2

Innotime2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Sorry didn't want to keep bothering with updates. But I am almost positive it is between 1 of 2 things. After these two fixes I haven't had problems in a few days and I tried restarting about 5 times in a row and everything else with no bsod.

1) changed both ram sticks

2) disabled that VT option in my BIOS (A lot of HP laptops has it). Don't remember enabling this in the first place but disabled it a couple days ago and no problems. But it was the same day as switching ram sticks so not sure which did the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users