Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hated 8.1, refreshed back to windows 8, everything wacky

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimus

kimus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

I finally had everything running well after spending way too much time tweaking and tweaking. Upgraded to 8.1, did not like it and kept reading bad reviews so I refreshed back to windows 8.  Had to spend 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft to get preinstalled office working again, basic things like finding devices (wireless printer) doesn't work, tons of pop ups, etc.  I knew I would have to re-install programs, but this is ridiculous. The fella at MS said that I will not be able to update and stay as Windows 8.  This is the second time I've had to refresh this computer and I've only had it a year.  I've grown to like Windows 8 but can I leave it and not do any more updates?  I ran the DDS if anyone can tell me if there is something there I can fix so that my computer will run well again.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

It was probably the drivers. If you want to go back to windows 8.1, just go into device manager and update the drivers after you are done updating to 8.1. If that doesn't work un-install the driver, restart and install it again.

#3 kimus

kimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

That's the thing, I do not want 8.1 and would prefer to stay with 8.  But that would mean I would not be able to update. 

#4 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

8.1 has its advantages. Say there were security exploits early in 8, 8.1 may patch those. Overall 8.1 improves 8, I personally don't own a windows 8 machine because i rolled it back to 7. From what i can tell from working at a repair shop it fixes all of the bugs that people didn't like about 8, along with a lot of other issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users