Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Keyboard Buttons Not Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:03 PM

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon [tm] XP 2400+
2.00 GHz, 1.00 Gb of Ram.

For a couple of weeks I have been using a brand new USB connection Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000. When I first connected it to my computer, all of the buttons at the top of the keyboard, for Web/Home; Search; Mail; Back; Forward, worked. Then I disconnected the keyboard while I rearranged my desk and when I reconnected those buttons were dead, and still are. Even a little oblong button at the top right hand corner, that I guess is for the calculator, is dead. Yes, I can search, get mail and go back and forward, and use the calculator elsewhere, but it would be nice if the buttons did what they are meant to do.

Its a nice keyboard and I'm happy with it, but a lack of response when I tap one of those buttons has me wondering if I should take it back to the shop.

The 'getting started' handbook is unhelpful.

Best wishes,

whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

Have you tried unistall//reinstall
Software link HERE if you need it
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Thank you Boopme.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by uninstall/reinstall. I have looked at add/remove programmes and there is nothing there that would help. The computer detected the new keyboard when I connected via USB so I suppose it is a plug and play piece of apparatus. To be honest, it doesn't really matter that the buttons have decided not to work. Deisel here is £1 a litre and taking it back would involve a 100 mile round trip and futile expense. I'll keep the keyboard and ignore its top buttons.

However, I do appreciate your concern. Thank you for replying.

Best Wishes,

whatapalaver

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

did it come with a disoftwaere disc?
I meant to unistall the product then reinstall it with the disc . Or first by dowloading the software from the link, onto the desktop then reinstalling the software. A file may be corrupted on the original install.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

The keyboard came without a disc. The useless 'getting started' manual says "start computer, then plug the cable's rectangular USB connector into the computer's rectangular USB port".

Best wishes

whatapalaver

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

well all I can say is try to download the software from here

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/downloads/default.mspx

reboot and see if it fixed the problem
good luck

Edited by boopme, 10 May 2006 - 06:09 PM.

#7 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:53 AM

You were spot on, Boopme,

My wife thinks that you are wonderful, and that is a true accolade.

Everything works.

Thank you very very much.

Best Wishes,

whatapalaver

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:14 AM

Only glad to help.
Appreciate your letting us know it was successful.
Thanks to the bride for her accolade. I'll bet she's wonderful too. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users