Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get sound working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Gooday all. my first post in a Vista forum. I was given this machine and am trying to get it all plumb, square and level to give to a kid down the road. Pretty much got things happening ok but no sound. Nothing from the on board sound and I have put in an old Creative sound card sbo680. I have been unable to get drivers for this card. Everywhere I look ther is the option to download a driver scanner but past experience tells me these are a waste of time and possibly dangerous. Speccy attched,any help most appreciated.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qMjEEx7eU374w4jaaBXtZi7

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Have you installed the drivers from http://www.realtek.com for your real tek card, and what is the full model number of the SB Card?

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I found this driver for the SB0680 sound card from driverguide.com. You have to use their installer, but if you're careful and prudent, you won't end up  with any of the included crapware. I dowloaded it as a trial and was able to get just the driver in a zip file called SoundBlaster51.zip. I scanned it and it's safe.

For future reference, PCIdatabase.com is an excellent resource for finding the exact manufacturer/device info for unknown hardware. It has saved me many a time. All you need are the vendor and device ID numbers, which can be read from the devices' properties page in device manager.

Right-click the unknown device, click properties, click the details tab, under Property, choose Hardware Ids. The first line in the Value window displays the Vendor and Device info. For example, my video card's ID is

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0400&SUBSYS_22801682&REV_A1   the highlighted numbers, obviously, are the vendor and device numbers. Plug the in at PCIdatabase.com and you'll see it's a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS. (OK, stop laughing)

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

Gooday and thanks for the quick responses. I formatted the hard drive with gparted and did a clean install. Didn't follow the guide supplied on this site so could have done a better job. I have tried to download the realtek drivers but have had trouble. Would that be the on board sound card? Full number for the the sb card is what I wrote, sbo680. There is a serial number on it. MASB0680723002054V.

I tried briefly to use PanickyD's first option but was short on time. I will have another look when I have more time. Thanks again.

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#5 Wildinstincts

Wildinstincts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I have a desk top computer that lost the sound for the longest time (years)  for no good reason.  At least 10 techs tried to fix it and they could not.

Years went by and my computer would not recover the sound.

One day, after a Windows update, sound came back just like that.

Try to update your computer with the Windows update. Maybe it will repair it like it did with mine.

I have the impression that Microsoft knew about this bug, kept it silent,  and they corrected it somehow.

If this does not work, save your files in an external disk and reinstall your system. (It sucks but what else will you do?) If sound is important to you do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users