Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly Disappearing Disc Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HereWeGo2

HereWeGo2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

My problems are remarkably similiar to the problem's of the poster who posted this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/519121/constantly-losing-hard-drive-space/

I got a message of dangerously low disc space, that had suddenly went from about 3 gb to less than 200 mb. I began deleting quite a bit...at least 5 gb of space. I also cleaned up my hibernation file, through disc cleanup, since that takes up a lot of room as well.

It showed the space expanding, but then a few hours later, I got the "dangerously low" message again, and my space was down to about 10 mb!!!!

This has only been happening for the past week or so. No matter how much I delete, it always gets back down low to just mbs again! I'm not doing anything on my computer other than looking at websites.

I've run Norton & Malware Bytes, and it says that everything is clean.

However, I noticed that when I opened Internet Explorer last week (which I rarely use...I always use Firefox), I got this message:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files your computer. Click here for options..."

This happened just by opening IE and it going to my home page, which is Google. I went nowhere else. Ever since then, I've been having this disc space problem, so I'm thinking it DID download something, despite that warning.

So not only do I want to fix the disc space problem & clear up any potential malware, I want to figure out how to stop whatever is trying to automatically download whenever I open IE.

I really appreciate the help. This is driving me crazy, and making my comp virtually unusable. I hope I'm able to maintain enough space to even download what I have to do download to clean this up.

If you need me to post a HiJack this log, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HereWeGo2

HereWeGo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

I also see that I have a lot of GB being used in old Norton360 backup, just like the person who posted that original thread. I want to make sure it's safe to delete that old backup.

I think the problem is bigger than that, though, as nothing has changed in that regard, and this constantly disappearing low disc space problem has only started happening since I went to Internet Explorer last week.

I wish I could find out what those files are that are trying to (and may have successfully?) downloaded. I almost want to right click and choose "download file" just to see what they are so that I could then find them on my computer, but I know that's not safe.

Thanks again, in advance, for your help!

Edited to Add: Just to be totally accurate, MalwareBytes actually did find two things, and did quarantine them. So it seems as though they were successfully removed. However, when I rebooted, I still had that same "low disc space" problem after a bit. So I guess the problem is unrelated to whatever MalwareBytes found and removed, but I figured I'd add that piece of info in case you found it important.

I also wanted to add that I see 4.30 gb worth of space in Norton 360 Backup since January 6, 2014, which is the day this problem started happening. So I really think my problem is related to that, but then, what is the thing that keeps trying to download in Internet Explorer, and how do I get rid of that problem from repeatedly coming up?

Also, how do I stop Norton 360 Backup from recreating these big files? If I simply delete that 4.30 gb, will this problem keep reoccuring in a few days?

I am on Windows Vista on an HP Pavillion laptop, by the way.

Edited by HereWeGo2, 11 January 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#3 HereWeGo2

HereWeGo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Any help, please, would be greatly appreciated. I was going to wait to post again for three days, but I don't think that I can afford to right now. I'm running out of things to delete to keep my computer up and running!

I deleted some of the big files in the Norton 360 folder, and it showed the free space grow to over 3 gb (which is the amount I deleted), but then a few hours later I'm back to under 30 mb. It's crazy!

I am afraid I'm going to run out of big files to delete before I can get some help. I regret deleting other big files, because it doesn't seem to matter. I should have started by deleting smaller stuff, so I'd still have some big stuff left to go through.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help people for free. I wish I had some talent to offer in return, lol. :(

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hello, lets start by running these..

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

thisisujrt.gif Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
    • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
    • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
    • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
    • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
    • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
    • Last run ESET.
      • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
      • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
      • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
      • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
      • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
      • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
      • Click the Start button.
      • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
      • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
      • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
      • Scan potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
      • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
      • When the scan completes, click List Threats
      • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
      • Click the Back button.
      • Click the Finish button.
      • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users