Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Combofix

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

If you have Combofix installed on your computer, can problems occur when you backup your files on your external hard drive/flash drive? Is it possible for Combofix to corrupt the files on your external hard drive/flash drive? Can it screw up the transfer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise with new malware infections or other security tools conflicting with ComboFix, experts are aware of them and can advise users what should or should not be done while providing assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

What specific issues are you having that requires using ComboFix?

Compliments of QuietMan7

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

ComboFix should be removed per these instructions when you are done with it.

Why? Using older outdated versions of ComboFix is not recommended. The developer frequently updates ComboFix not only to keep it effective against malware but to minimize the possibility of risk or serious side effects which could result in system damage after running his tool. In some older versions of ComboFix, the expired version may no longer work properly or effectively. In newer versions, it will delete the copy on a user's computer and try to ensure no other copies of ComboFix will run on the machine until an updated copy is released.

These are all protective measure since most folks are unaware of version changes and we do not discuss what they are or what ComboFix does in public to protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. With the amount of work and effort sUBs puts forth in ComboFix, he does not have time to go back and correct older versions to ensure they continue to work safely and properly so it's easier for him to allow them to expire or be deleted. When the tool is required for system disinfection, the most current version should always be downloaded before running it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise with new malware infections or other security tools conflicting with ComboFix, experts are aware of them and can advise users what should or should not be done while providing assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

What specific issues are you having that requires using ComboFix?

Compliments of QuietMan7

I'm currently a college student. Back in September, I took my laptop to my ResNet because I thought someone hacked my computer because my computer didn't recognize my password (my mistake). They used different anti-virus softwares on my computer like malwarbytes and microsoft secure essentials. They also installed Combofix onto my computer. I haven't had any issues with it because I haven't opened it since I got my computer back. I heard about how powerful it is, which is the reason why I don't want to uninstall it myself. I worry I might screw something up. Which is why I posted this question. Can I still do everything a laptop is SUPPOSED to do even while Combofix is still installed on my computer? I just bought a new 1tb WD external hard drive. I want to install it on my computer, but I worry this issue with Combofix still being installed on my computer my screw the installation up. What should I do? Should I manually unistall Combofix through the help on this website, or should I take my computer back to ResNet for them to uninstall Combofix?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

Sorry to drop in late, but you are still asking questions -

Can I still do everything a laptop is SUPPOSED to do even while Combofix is still installed on my computer?

NO - You can not operate your computer normally with the program still installed.

Please note that ComboFix is NOT a scanning tool and it should be removed as per above.

This is a one time only scan / repair tool for special problems only. It can not be updated and MUST be uninstalled.

3 things to do if it is on your system now .......

1 / Unstall it - ComboFix should be removed per these instructions when you are done with it.
Now, Reboot your computer and make sure the program is no longer there. If it is, please repeat the steps.

2 / This is your Daily / Weekly scanning tool => Update it prior to each time you use it.

* Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

* Note - Do not accept the Free Trial version at this time -
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.( Unless you know that there are safe programs.)
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
Be sure to reboot the computer if required after you have log.
The latest version of the program now scans archive files which were previously not scanned.
This can increase the time required to complete a full scan.

3 / Important - Do you still have any infection problems with this computer ??

If so - Please follow the instructions in THIS PREP GUIDE starting at Step #6.

Then make a NEW TOPIC and post it to => Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs. area along with the 2 DDS Logs that are now on your desktop.

Thank You -

#6 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Sorry to drop in late, but you are still asking questions -

Can I still do everything a laptop is SUPPOSED to do even while Combofix is still installed on my computer?

NO - You can not operate your computer normally with the program still installed.

Please note that ComboFix is NOT a scanning tool and it should be removed as per above.

This is a one time only scan / repair tool for special problems only. It can not be updated and MUST be uninstalled.

3 things to do if it is on your system now .......

1 / Unstall it - ComboFix should be removed per these instructions when you are done with it.
Now, Reboot your computer and make sure the program is no longer there. If it is, please repeat the steps.

2 / This is your Daily / Weekly scanning tool => Update it prior to each time you use it.

* Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

* Note - Do not accept the Free Trial version at this time -
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.( Unless you know that there are safe programs.)
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
Be sure to reboot the computer if required after you have log.
The latest version of the program now scans archive files which were previously not scanned.
This can increase the time required to complete a full scan.

3 / Important - Do you still have any infection problems with this computer ??

If so - Please follow the instructions in THIS PREP GUIDE starting at Step #6.

Then make a NEW TOPIC and post it to => Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs. area along with the 2 DDS Logs that are now on your desktop.

Thank You -

I will be uninstalling Combofix using the guide you posted. I just wanted to know something. I've had Combofix on my computer since September. Is it possible for Combofix screw up my downloads or transferring files onto external hard drives/flash drives? I only download youtube videos & pictures, so I don't think it's an issue, but I just wanted to know. My campus is strict about downloading stuff while on campus. I'm able to open my video files and pictures files that I've downloaded since having it installed on my computer without any problems. Also, transferring files onto my flash drives hasn't been any issue. I think I'm just paranoid.

Edited by bigbrown411, 13 January 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I will be uninstalling Combofix using the guide you posted. I just wanted to know something. I've had Combofix on my computer since September. Is it possible for Combofix screw up my downloads or transferring files onto external hard drives/flash drives?

No. ComboFix does not do anything unless you run the tool.

Just follow the instructions in the official guide to remove it.

#8 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

I will be uninstalling Combofix using the guide you posted. I just wanted to know something. I've had Combofix on my computer since September. Is it possible for Combofix screw up my downloads or transferring files onto external hard drives/flash drives?

No. ComboFix does not do anything unless you run the tool.

Just follow the instructions in the official guide to remove it.

So if I follow these instructions to uninstall ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix#uninstall

Will the uninstallation process potential corrupt/delete any of my personal files? I just want to know in case I should back up some of my stuff.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yes follow those instructions.

• If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.
  • This will delete ComboFix's related folders/files, all backups of the files it removed, reset the clock settings, hide file extensions/system files, clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection and create a new Restore point.
  • When it has finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can remove the ComboFix.exe program from your Desktop by right-clicking on it and choosing delete.

#10 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Yes follow those instructions.

• If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.
  • This will delete ComboFix's related folders/files, all backups of the files it removed, reset the clock settings, hide file extensions/system files, clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection and create a new Restore point.
  • When it has finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can remove the ComboFix.exe program from your Desktop by right-clicking on it and choosing delete.

But are there any chances that some of my personal files might get corrupted/deleted during the uninstallation process. I just want to make sure before I begin it so I can backup some of my files.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I answered your question in my previous reply...uninstalling Combofix will delete ComboFix's related folders/files and all backups of the files it removed.

#12 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

I answered your question in my previous reply...uninstalling Combofix will delete ComboFix's related folders/files and all backups of the files it removed.

Idiotic question, but does it matter if I'm connected to the internet or not when uninstalling ComboFix?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

No

#14 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

No

Just need a little more clarification. Sorry about this. When you said "uninstalling Combofix will delete ComboFix's related folders/files and all backups of the files it removed," did you mean ONLY the files/folders that are directly related to Combofix will be deleted (the files/folders necessary for Combofix to function), or did you mean the files directly related to Combofix along with any other files that were downloaded WHILE Combofix was installed on my computer? I'm making this issue bigger than it is. Sorry about this. Also, I have one other question related to this issue with Combofix.

Will having multiple anti-virus softwares installed and running on my computer affect the uninstallation process of Combofix? Like I said before, when I got my laptop back from my ResNet, it had a bunch of different anti-virus softwares installed on it. I plan to delete all except Webroot SecureAnywhere (the software I paid for).

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Uninstalling ComboFix will only remove CF and everything related/contained in it's sub-folders. It does not search elsewhere so it is not going to touch other programs downloaded while CF was installed.

BTW, you don't delete anti-virus software. They are removed via Add/Remove (Programs and Features) or by using a cleanup utility created by the anti-virus vendor if that fails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users