Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fbarawr

fbarawr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hey everybody!

I've recently acquired a five-year-old Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150).

The netbook, however, came with multiple problems. The worst problem is that it sometimes refuses to turn on at all; sometimes it flashes the acer screen (sometimes even gets as far as the windows log-in screen) and turns off, sometimes the power LED lights up, but the screen doesn't show anything, and sometimes, the CAPS and NUM lock LEDs light up without the screen showing anything.

Banging the base of the machine a few times usually fixes these problems. However, when the machine does turn on, sometimes, the display leaves a wide black margin to the right, and repeats itself 3/4 of the way down. I can usually "fix" this by turning the netbook off and banging it again.

On the rare occasion that the machine boots into windows properly, it makes a horrible grinding noise (which, I suspect, is the fan). As long as the machine runs, the grinding noise persists. The noise rarely stops, but usually, when it does, the netbook abruptly turns off after a few seconds. One or multiple of the problems mentioned above follow.

I am able to run the computer properly for a maximum of 7-8 hours at a stretch, but then it turns off. I've tried using multiple OS's (Ubuntu 12.04, Windows XP), but the problems don't go away. Evidently, it's a hardware issue.

Here are my specifications:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Processor: Intel Atom N270
RAM: 1GB

It should also be noted that I'm using a USB cooling pad. I've tried disconnecting it, but that doesn't fix anything.

I hope somebody can help, because sometimes end up wasting HOURS on trying to get this computer to start (this is the only one I have). If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi, I suggest not banging on the bottom of the computer. That will definitely damage the hard drive sooner or later. Hard Drives do not like impacts, especially if powered up.

I did find this Aspire one Series Service Guide

If this looks like Your Netbook then You could try cleaning or replacing the CPU cooling fan.

Warning! Please read this first.
Be very careful, It is easy to ruin the computer.

The Connectors on the motherboard are very delicate.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 fbarawr

fbarawr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the help, rotor123!

I forgot to mention that before posting here, I had a professional check my computer, and he said he replaced the fan. Do you think he lied? Hmmmmm..... maybe I need to get a hold of him!

Also, while the grinding noise and the abrupt turning-off can be explained by a faulty cooling fan, it doesn't explain the problems with the display.

Today, when I turned the computer on from a sleeping stage, the keyboard just wouldn't respond! I logged into windows by using the on-screen keyboard, but the keyboard still wouldn't respond.When I restarted the machine, the display did that "repeat and black margin" thing. -_-

Thanks again!

All help/suggestions are appreciated!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

The other thing that could usually cause noise would be the hard drive. However I would not characterize it as grinding noise. Can You Localize the source of the noise? Using the service manual can you decide where or what the noise is coming from. You could run the Seatools for Windows on the hard drive. It will not tell you if the drive is the source of the problem. It can however tell you if the drive has problems. Run the Short test and the long test.

One thing I have seen is a stray wire can be hitting the fan fan blades causing noise, usually seen in desktop computers.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users