Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost 100% with Fresh Load of XP - RESOLVED!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JrRifleCoach

JrRifleCoach

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Been searching and attempting to get auto updates without resolution.

After rebuilding this Intel Duo four times I figured out the fix.

Before attempting to start the AUTO UPDATE from MS website, got to the MS website and download the IE8 UPDATE first.

The AutoUpdate will then run properly.

Well, at least it did for me first try after multiple rebuilds....

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hi, The other thing I have seen work is download and install the Service packs. Once You have SP3 Auto updates will work too.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 JrRifleCoach

JrRifleCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Actually I have been through four different build senarios that have failed to launch auto updates or manual updates from the MS website via IE. Also tried the MS fixs and other tips and tricks from various forums that had still not found a reliable resolution.

Home2 to SP3 failed

XP2 to SP3 failed

XP3 with original IE6 failed (I built this one many times on various PC's that worked earlier in 2013)

XP3 then WSUS for updates. Still could not get MS auto updates to function.

My success was XP3 to IE8 update. Then svchost process dropped to "nil" and MS Auto updates worked first try.

I'd like to switch OFF auto updates for my clients without their having to look at the red warning shield.

This would save some proccessing/memory power and not bother the user. Anyone have a fix for this?

Edited by JrRifleCoach, 11 January 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thank You for the feedback

I found it interesting all the permutations You went through during Your troubleshooting.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

There have been a lot of threads on this very issue over the last month or more, and applying the IE8 Cumulative Security patch has worked for a lot of people - although for some reason as many folks also have had problems with BITS and .NET Framework etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are of the opinion that MS Updates will 'break' again next month when the next cumulative security patch comes out and it will have to be manually downloaded and installed to resolve.

I don't know what will happen in April - when MS drops support for XP altogether and there will be no more updates for XP, as MS Security Essentials won't be supported under XP so no more updates despite the fact it runs on other supported OS'es. IE8 came with W7, so will IE8 still get updated under XP?

Steve O.

#6 JrRifleCoach

JrRifleCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Even if MS closes off the update server, I'll continue to keep my copy of WSUSOffline to rebuild client machines..

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Personal opinion of mine is that when they Say no more upgrades that will include IE8.

I do expect that a fresh install will still be able to download all the updates up that were released for XP, just no new ones.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 JrRifleCoach

JrRifleCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Exactly!

However, MS will do, whatever MS wants to do....

#9 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Personal opinion of mine is that when they Say no more upgrades that will include IE8.

I do expect that a fresh install will still be able to download all the updates up that were released for XP, just no new ones.

Roger

The thing is that the patch numbers for IE8 seem to be the same across different OS'es  which makes me wonder it there are multiple versions of the executables with the same patch number, or if the code is actually the same.

I have installed an XP driver under W7 by 'fooling' the install - the patch wouldn't install otherwise as it was checking the OS level for compatability - but the driver works fine.

I am just curious as to how MS will implement the restriction of no patches for IE8 under XP but apparently patches for IE8 under Vista and W7. 

Steve O.

#10 JrRifleCoach

JrRifleCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

I quit using and recommending IE across the board. (except when all others fail)

Instead, recommend loading Firefox or Chrome maintain current securities without prejudice towards the OS.

Sad that MS can't or won't build a browser that is "app" isolated from the OS.

So how does Apple keep the browser from impacting the PC? Just asking of course.. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users