Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 jdstock

jdstock

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hi all. New here. I've got a dual-boot machine. MacBook Pro, HD partitioned into 2 volumes - one with Win7 64 bit and the other with Mac OS Snow Leopard.

Was directed to to come here to bleeping computer by a Tier 3 TWC tech who was unable to help me resolve my problem. Specifically, he sent me here to download Combofix and run that to see if it found anything he and I were unable to when we were troubleshooting. Went to download Combofix. It found quite a number of issues, however, to resolve them it's telling me that I need to pay for it. The TWC tech seemed to indicate that this was a great free tool. Does anyone know if that's the case - it being free? If so, can someone point me to the correct link to download a fully functioning version of this program so that I can resolve my issues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I would say you didn't download the true program but a scareware program. You also need to be sure to run it with step by step instructions form a trained expert or you can cause unrepairable damage to your  computer.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hello,

As was said above, you did not download the real ComboFix, but an imposter. The only legitimate and up to date download of ComboFix is from bleepingcomputer.com

As a further warning:

ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for personal, unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without the assistance of someone specifically trained in its use, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

You may find this topic to be informative - ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 jdstock

jdstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on using the tool on my own, instead I'm just downloading it and am then calling TWC's Tier III support department back to have them walk me through it.

#5 jdstock

jdstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

It appears that I've got some pretty complex malware or spyware on my computer affecting both my Windows partition and Mac OS partition. I've spent days trying to figure out how to resolve this myself but just don't seem to be getting anywhere. Can't tell if it's DNSChanger, or something else...

It does appear that someone has somehow gotten access to my computer and is logging information...adding files and folders, etc.

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Advising you to downloaded it and run it unaided I'd say the tech didn't give you very wise advise. There are trained experts here that can help you get this sorted out.

#7 jdstock

jdstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the caution KingdomSeeker. Are you offering to help me figure out what's going on?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

You need to follow Steps 6-8 of the Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and then post the requested DDS log, along with your ComboFix log, in the forum which contains the Prep Guide.

Once you have done that, this topic will be closed and you will follow the instructions provided in your new topic.

Louis

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

KingdomSeeker will not be able to help with logs posted in Malware Removal Logs.

That forum is restricted. Only members of the Malware Removal Team and certain Bleeping Computer staff are allowed to help there.

Those who do help there undergo a rigorous training program before being certified as one who can help. They know what they are doing.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

If you follow the instructions provided by hamluis and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 jdstock

jdstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Thank you all for being so helpful. I've since posted the logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

Here is a thread to the new topic:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520716/combofix-dds-file-attached-log-file/?p=3258771

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

You're welcome.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users