Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turning on and off by itself

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ohhwusso

ohhwusso

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hi. I have 3 computers at home - 2 laptops connected via Wi-Fi and 1 desktop connected via Ethernet. Last night randomly one of the laptops (windows 7) turned off by itself and I lost internet connection on the other laptop (MacBook Pro) at the same time but the internet was working fine on my desktop (windows 8).

At first I ignored it and thought it was coincidental but the windows 7 laptop wouldn't turn on that easily until after few minutes when I get internet back on my MacBook Pro. Then about 20 minutes later the same thing happens and it happens one more time later that night.

I restored my router (Arris model and has built in modem) to its original factory settings and then unplugged it. In the morning when I go to plug it back in, the desktop which is connected to it via Ethernet, suddenly turns on by itself which now makes this even more complicated.

What do you think is going on? Why would the MacBook Pro never shut off but the windows 7 laptop shuts off causing the MacBook Pro to lose internet connection? Also plugging the router into AC power causing the desktop to turn on by itself as well is something I've never dealt with before. I did many virus scans using Avast, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on both windows 7 and 8 computers and nothing showed up. I have never messed with the BIOS or changed any settings on any computer or on the router but this problem is strange and I can't seem to understand what is going on.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me.

Edited by ohhwusso, 11 January 2014 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users