Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With My Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shyninja

shyninja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:14 PM

hey i need help

my cpu usage jumps around 70% and above alot and i dont really know what to do.
i cant really tell which exe. uses the most cpu usage because it jumps around to many different places.
(ex.jumps high for explorer.exe and then jumps high for nonactive programs like googledesktop.exe)

i defraged my comp checked for viruses,spyware,and adware ,and nothing showed

this happened after i downloaded AVG FREE virus scanner and at download.com
after i saw what happened to my comp i uninstalled it. and my cpu still remained the same

before my cpu usage ran 2% majority of the time

if anyone can help id really appreciate it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Well usually when a computer has more things running it tends to take up more memory and CPU usage. Installing and using AVG's real-time monitoring would hog up some CPU performace %, but since you uninstalled and removed it I don't know why it would stay at that performace. Have you installed anything since then? Plus, how much memory and space do you have on your computer? Even with Musicmatch Jukebox, IE, Mozilla Firefox, AVG Free, Sophos, and many other applications running at the moment the msot my performance reaches is 50%.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 shyninja

shyninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

nope i didnt install anything after that
i have mozilla firefox but even before the most it go up is 8%
now its in it 32% range

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

In the processes tab in the task manager, is there any new services running there. There maybe a piece of spyware or a program that has installed it self in the background onto your pc. Lets us know what you find.

What OS are you running? and When your on the internet what account type do you use?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 shyninja

shyninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

i have a window xp
account type im not too sure
(im not too knowledgable about comps -_-)

theyre is also another weird thing, i downloaded this thing called Security Task Manager and what it says and what my Task Managers says dont seem to correspond

ex. on STM msmpeng.exe (windows defender) its 4%
on TM its 18%

#6 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hmmm... it appears that Security Task Manager is a valid application; here's the basic overview of it:
The reason why your regular Task Manager and STask Manager aren't showing the same info. is because STask Manager appears to be more "in-depth" and show more than the regular Task Manager.
Here's what you can do to aid in solving this problem. Open up task manager and look for processes that hog a lot of your computer's memory usage and then post them back here.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#7 shyninja

shyninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

heres a pic of the proccess before the ones shown were at most 7-12 %

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ste...askmanager2.jpg

sorry if its a bit small

Edited by shyninja, 09 May 2006 - 06:02 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

Windows will use resources for itself when not being used by running aps and its usage will vary depending on what other load you are placing on the computer at a given time.

Since you uninstalled AVG what anti-virus ap are you using instead?
AVG is less of a resource hog than most others available and realtime protection regardless of which AV ap you use is absolutely necessary unless you want to become infected in short order.

#9 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Try this:
Click on Start > Run > type in MSCONFIG > ok
Click the startup tab > disable all > ok then ok to restart
If your CPU usage goes down then it is something in the startup group that is causing the problem to find out which one just go back to msconfig/startup and put a checkmark back into 1 or 2 items at a time and restart until you find the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users