Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows Update"-- is it working ?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Newey

Graham Newey

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Dear All,

I open "Windows Update".

First page says "No important updates" available", and continues to do so every time I search.

I click "View update history" and on next page I'm told that "You have not tried to install any updates for your computer" !! (This is nonsense !)

I click "Installed Updates" and next page says 8 updates were installed "Earlier this week"----- 8.1.14; and 257 updates were installed "A long time ago"---- last date being 10.12.13.

Are updates provided on a roughly monthly basis ?

The latest 8 updates dated 8.1.14 appeared, as if by "magic", a couple of days ago. I did not see the update happening --- do not think that this has happened before.

So, is my "Windows Update" working properly ?

Further, why does the "View Update History" page say what it says ?!

I've spent hours on this anomoly and got precisely nowhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Graham Newey.

PS: My OS is Vista Home Premium + Service Pack 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hi Graham Newey,

You said that you have spent hours on this issue. Can you explain what solutions you have tried thus far? Have you ran the "Troubleshooting Utility"? http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

Have you checked to see if all Drivers are up to date?

Microsoft usually releases updates on "Patch Tuesday" as most users call it.

#3 Graham Newey

Graham Newey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Dear sikntired,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Regret, I cannot really explain "solutions" I have tried. Twelve months ago I had a "stroke" and it has effected my memory badly (everything else in good working order !) It's difficult to explain the effect this has had, but suffice to say that I cannot hold a thought for more than a few seconds. Trying to write things down as they happen is not practical. It's all very frustrating.

Anyway, suffice to say I've been working on this little problem for the last couple of weeks and have "Googled" the problem umpteen times and tried numerous "remedies", none of which have worked. The only change that has happened is the "sudden" arrival of the last 8 updates on 8.1.14, mentioned in my previous communication. The updates previous to these appear to have arrived at roughly monthly intervals.

Came across the "Troubleshooting Utility" several days ago and was quite encouraged. However, the downloaded file is a .diagcab file and I can't open it. Tried all sorts of programs to open it but can only produce gobbledegook. Any help (and it would need to be in the simplest of terms) would be gratefully received !

Checked all drivers and found a couple that needed updating which I did.

Still told in "View Update History" that I haven't installed any updates and still not sure that WU is in fact working OK.

So ---any ideas?

Regards,

Graham

#4 samanthapark01

samanthapark01

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Have you try running the Microsoft Fix it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Try http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/ .

Louis

#6 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi Graham.

You asked a few questions about Windows Update.

IF there are updates to be released, Microsoft releases them on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, with more critical updates released as required. You can check out a brief FAQ here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/updates-faq.aspx. Sometimes there are no updates released at all. Other times, there are updates, but none for your specific operating system version (Vista).

As for updates appearing on your computer as if by "magic" without you seeing them, your computer is probably configured to receive updates automatically, something that Microsoft recommends for users that are not tech savvy.

Unless I am absolutely mistaken, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Your computer seems to be downloading and installing the necessary Windows Updates automatically as they become available.

The next scheduled Windows Update release will be on Tuesday, January 14th, 2014. The updates will become available on that date but they may not be installed on your computer immediately - it may take a day or two.

I'd rather not confuse you with a lot of information, but there are ways for you to check your Windows Update settings and I'd be happy to help you do so.

Edited by L1NGUS, 12 January 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#7 Graham Newey

Graham Newey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Dear sickntired, hamluis and samanthapark01 (but not necessarily in that order !),

I have indeed run Microsoft Fix It", but went back for another go.

In the "FilterSolutions" box I entered "Windows Update". The usual long list of things appears, but this time I noticed the

"Run Now" mark on the left of the first two entries. Have run the first entry --- "Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows

Update that is not working" at least four times. Has no effect.

So, tried the second entry --- "Automatically fix Windows security settings to keep your PC safe" --- (specifically includes

checking "Windows Update" apparently). Hadn't run it before, as I say --- so gave it a go. Fixed "everything", apparently. Ha!

Ha! Had absolutely no effect !

Started "Googling" again. Came across a "tool" called "au_check_v84-x64". Tried it. No good.

So, the situation is as before. It is questionable, (as far as I'm concerned), whether updates are still being installed,

although when you look at "Installed Updates" it suggests that all is in order. However, when you look at "View Update

History" there still aren't any shown (!!), and I'm told I haven't tried to install any updates (ever) !!! Can it be that

"Windows Update" is, say, 95% AOK but there is some annoying little problem with the "View Update History" page ?

One other point, that my addled brain has, to date, not seen the relevance of, is as follows:-

For some time now, after I start the computer, I see in the "Taskbar" a small red shield with a white border on the outside

of it and a white "X" in it's middle. I click it and find the "Windows Security Centre". The entry "Automatic Update" is

shown as "Off". I change settings to "On", cancel the window, and the red shield disappears from my "Taskbar". This

happens on 9 boots out of 10, say.

I know it sounds crazy, but I omitted this point from my original post because the relevance just didn't occur to me !!

Is this last point linked to my main problem ?

Any bright ideas ?

Regards,

Graham                                                                                                                                                                                                       

PS: L1NGUS-- just seen your post. Will respond soon. Many thanks for your interest.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hi Graham,

Yes, this could be, as Malware has been associated with this kind of behavior. Have you run any AV scans lately?

Here is a good on-demand utility: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Make sure you update and run.

Keep us posted with results and any other information.

Good Luck

#9 Graham Newey

Graham Newey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Dear All,

Firstly, L1NGUS's comments about my "magic" updates, obviously, makes good sense.

I can only say that I'm in the habit of constantly keeping my eye on the "Taskbar". Always have done. Have not seen the updating icon there since the December one. "Magic" is obviously not an accurate word but the sudden unseen appearance of the 8.1.14 updates is certainly a mystery---but see below !

Regarding the updates due on Tuesday, 14.1.14, at the time of writing there no sign of them. I understand that this in itself does not indicate a problem. Anyway we shall see. Patience is not my strong point ! Belay all of the foregoing!!!-- update just came in. It is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 (KB890830)". Looks like you were right L1NGUS after all.

Tried to find out the cause of the "red shield appearance", but so far no luck.

"View Update History" now has one entry ! And very nice it looks too. Only another 265 to go !

Regarding "Malware" I have run Malwarebytes and found 387(!) "PUP.Optonal.Conduit" items. Actually the last word was different on a few of them. All put in "Quarantine".

So, it looks like my only problem is getting the "View Update History" to read correctly.

All inspired ideas will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Graham

#10 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi Graham.

Yep, the Microsoft Updates were pretty sparse this month.

Please note, if your computer is configured to receive automatic updates, you will NOT normally see any kind of notifications in the system tray of your Task Bar. Windows Vista will automatically check for, download and install updates as they become available without any assistance from you. Often your computer will need to be restarted to complete the installation and you will be notified about that. And on rare occasion, Windows might require some additional input from you and you will receive a notification regarding that.

More importantly, you really should ensure your system is NOT compromised by malware before you worry about whether or not Windows Update is working properly. Why make your bed if the house is on fire?

You mentioned a scan by Malwarebytes found and quarantined a file. There may be more bad stuff left behind and that could also be adding to your Windows Update woes.

I would head over to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ and seek help from a trained malware removal expert.

#11 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi Graham,

Read your reply with regards to Malware scan. MBAM found beaucoup "Potentially Unwanted Programs"(PUP). There have been many users who have encountered Conduit and have sought the assistance of our Malware Response Team. They are excellent at the assistance provided and I as many others laud them as this is purely voluntary.

The advice given by L1NGUS is sound and considering the number of PUPS MBAM found it would certainly be in your best interest to do so. Do not be discouraged if you do not get an immediate response as they tend to be quite busy. I encourage you to be patient.

Please read the following prior to posting: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected/

Best of Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users