Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turning Off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce10189

applesauce10189

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

My computer has a bad habit of turning off without warning. I have no clue why. For about a year now it's been giving me an error almost daily saying theres a problem with the fan but like I said it's been for about a year now and nothings happened but now I feel like this may have something to do with my computer randomly turning off without warning. It doesn't even say logging out or anything the display just turns off and the rest of the computer follows. I planned to say a little more but then I started talking to a friend and forgot it. If I remember it or have any other information

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2014 - 10:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovecars1

lovecars1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

More than likely, the computer is shutting off randomly because the CPU is overheating.

Feel the air exiting the computer on the back through the power cord area where the power supply fan is located, and through the fan port in the middle rear of the computer; if there is little air going through and very hot, then follow the instructions below. Also if it runs OK once you turn it on the first time that day for a while, then also follow the directions below.

If it runs OK for a while when you turn it on, then you may want to open up the case and try to clean out the heat sync over the CPU, and blow out the power supply. You can do this with canned air or using an air compressor using very low PSI and making sure you don't overspeed the fans by blowing too much air directly so as not to damage the bearing on the fans, or using a small vacuum to clean it up. Remembering that using a vacuum creates lots of static electricity which will destroy your computer. So use a wrist ground cuff connected to the computer so you don't fry it when you touch it.

This should be the first thing to check, it that is not the problem, then look for loose circuit board connectors, loose cards including RAM.

Let us know if this is the problem....

Thanks.

Ernie

IT Consultant / Coder since 1969 

#3 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Well if that's the problem then maybe I should slow down on gaming and such, I usually leave my laptop plugged in and turned on 24/7 plus I have the power settings set to never sleep, just dim the display after half an hour of nothing happening, yeah, I might want to change that a bit, it's currently 9:45 PM exactly at the time of typing this so I'm going to turn off my laptop and check it when I wake up in the morning. Which is likely to be around 8-9 pm. If it's as you say I'll follow your instructions, if it's otherwise I'll be sure to tell you. Also, yes there currently is very little and hot air coming out so you're most likely right,

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Since this is a laptop, short of disassembling it gain access to do a proper cleaning, about the best you can do would be to purchase canned air and blow out the laptop via the vents.

Let's get some specific information regarding the temperatures.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RTF2eSaMG81Qo5bzFH5Twmp

WARNING: my settings are set so the computer never sleeps but just dims the display at most, for the person above you dc3 I turned off my computer over night and just turned it on literally 7 minutes ago. For average results I will give you the log tommorrow which by that time should be around normal temperature in terms of how hot it gets usually.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Try blowing it out first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

6:05 PM randomly turned off again.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/57vVJPpMneKL4TqQpMP5U8L

getting some canned air to blow in then going to wait a while and put another log.

#8 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

2:39 AM blew out the fan after last post. feeling the fan I think it's fixed but just in case,

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/i1M0vAgJ73WruPh0oRzV12C

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Those temperatures look much better, the temperatures in the previous Speccy were scary high, no wonder it was shutting down.  The CPU has a thermal detector which monitors its temperature.  There is a set temperature which if the computer exceeds will shut the computer to keep the CPU from being damaged.

I suggest that you keep a can of  canned air around to periodically blow out the insides.

#10 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Okay, I guess maybe keeping it on none stop for about a year was probably a bad idea,

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

One good reason to turn it off on a regular basis is that updates will not take effect until the computer has been turned off and then back on.

#12 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

One good reason to turn it off on a regular basis is that updates will not take effect until the computer has been turned off and then back on.

Well one annoying thing about my computer is it has a bad habbit of whenever it needs updates it'll either annoy me daily until I do it or it'll count down to force do it while I'm away and can't say put it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users