Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix or "create" MBR in WinXp??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dmkc1207

dmkc1207

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Auugh..I'm an idiot..I had an old xp machine with Winxp pro installed on a 40gb HD that was starting to click..I installed a second 200gb and installed same OS..Each time it rebooted I had "2" entries for which one to boot to and I just hit the enter key to continue working on the 200gb..Then, (like an idiot) I decided to use the 40gb and as a secondary storage drive so I booted to my XP disk & formatted it..Now my new disk won't boot and I guess it has something to do with the MBR..I don't know much about fixing/moving/repairing them but by googling I saw you are supposed to use the "repair" option by booting to your xp disk to get to recovery console..Unfortunately, I don't get this option..Just setup/create partition/and delete selected partition options..I spent alot of time doing all the updates and was wondering if there is a way to fix this...worse yet, one of the power pins broke on the 40gb while swapping and its DOA..Any fixes, third party disks, ANYTHING??...appreciate any help :unsure: ...thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hello,

See Repairing Windows XP in eight commands.

#3 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, but I'm not given the option for "repair" when I boot to an XP disk..I can boot to ERD commander and the hard drive is recognized as a WinXp partition, but I can't figure out how to make it bootable

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Remove the old drive (if not done already).

Ensure that newly created install drive is attached properly.

Change boot options in BIOS to optical drive.

Insert XP install disk, elect "Repair" option.  If your disk does not provide repair option, that would seem to indicate that the disk does not reflect the Recovery Console, IMO...I know of no Genuine XP install disk that does not reflect the Recovery Console.

In any case...you can forego using the disk that you have and create a Recovery Console CD by following suggestion by Andrew at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380303/need-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/ .

Once in the Recovery Console, type 1 in the first line, hit Enter.  Hit Enter for the password (type nothing, just hit Enter).  I would try the bootcfg /rebuild command.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Did the installation disc include SP1?

Edited by dc3, 11 January 2014 - 09:09 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thank you both gents...dc3, yes it was sp3..hamluis, thanks for the link, I would have loved to try it and have saved it for future reference though I realize the XP world is FINALLY on it's last legs..While in ERD Commander I tried a few fixes without trying to be too invasive as I knew all the data was on there..No luck, but at least on reboot I got to a point where I received the old "ntldr is missing" error..I searched that out as I thought I had seen a fix on an UBCD disk somewhere in the past and I found the site http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm which solved my problem..seems that my Windows partition did not even HAVE the files boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com in them which I guess (?) might be normal on a dual boot system?..those files (again I am ASSUMING) were probably located on the other (original) 40gb hd which I formatted...Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I love bleeping, I'm not a huge poster here due to time constraints and the usual excuses, but if there is a better site on the internet (and I have been around since bulletin board days) for finding cures for malware, viruses, etc, someone PLEASE point it out!..great community...thanks again

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users