Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CuteFTP blocked by Avast Internet Security 9x

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RezigAu

RezigAu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Salutations,

I finally figured out that Avast Internet Security is the culprit that is blocking my FTP transfers in Cute FTP and any other FTP program ( i.e. FileZilla ).  What do I do to fix it??

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 

Avast Internet Security v2014.3.0.2011

CuteFTP v9.0.5.0007

FileZilla v3.7.3

What do I do to fix this?  It works fine if I disable Avast.. they changed the interface and I'm a bit lost.  The network application rule has been set to allow all connections for both programs and the windows filewall has passed both of them.

Thank you for your time and effort on my behalf..

Namaste...

Rezig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Worth a look, IMO:  https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/290 .

Louis

#3 RezigAu

RezigAu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

The buffer is not the problem. Transfers worked perfectly when Avast was fully disabled, and worked previously with 
Avast IS v8x.

thank you for the suggestion all the same. I had found this site before commming here.. yes.. was worth a shot and valuable information all the same. 

What else can you advise?

Edited by RezigAu, 10 January 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Well...you are not married to Avast software...since it seems to be the source of the problem, my way of thinking would lead to use a different AV and firewall combination.  MSE and the Windows firewall do the job sufficiently well, IMO.

Louis

#5 RezigAu

RezigAu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I might just see if it is a problem with the install first.. I've tried several antiviruses over the years and many recently.. Avast is one of the best out there and the most configurable and least laggy of the PC.. I'll give ti a shot with the after uninstall cleansing tool first.. Found one other post somewhere that mentioned that might do it.. I can't find the trusted services section any more in just the Internet Security model and can't afford the premium atm. it is rare, for me to have any PC issues I can't solve anyway... The questions I ask usually can only b answered by the designers - heh.. Tends to happen after 30 years of working with them  * winks * In other words.. I'm not giving up on my favorite AV yet.. there has to be another way... something I've missed...

#6 RezigAu

RezigAu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

Welll I figured it out from an obscure post somewhere deep in the wilds of the internet. it turns out that avast had some deep errors that could only be fixed by a total removal and cleaning of the program with Avast's actual uninstall utility after removing the program.. Here are the steps..

1. download Avast Clear

2. Uninstall Avast using the control panel under Programs And Features

3. Reboot computer

4. Run Avast Clear and say yes to rebooting into safe mode to perform cleaning

5. Say Uninstall and Yes to all dialogues of Avast Clear

6. Reboot Computer

7. Reinstall Avast

8. Reapply desired program settings

9. Done! Enjoy..

CuteFTP is back operational on this end using this procedure..

Namaste...

Rezig.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users