Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My friend broke my wireless adapter by trying to hack a neighbor's wifi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 343life

343life

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi guys, I recently bought a computer off of my friend. He told me before hand that the wireless internet didn't work on the computer's main adapter, but he gave me an external usb adapter that lets me go online. He told me that he screwed up the computer's wifi by trying to hack his neighbor's internet. There was a weird program called hamachi which i think may have something to do with it. He can't remember what he did to mess it up. Is there anything you guys can recommend that could help me out?

Thanks,

James

Edit: I'm running windows 7 64 bit and the computer is a laptop

Edited by 343life, 10 January 2014 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Just do a Reinstall of Windows 7 that came with the laptop.  If your friend did not give you the restore DVD's, contact the computer manufacturer, and they can send you a set for around $25.

You are allowing yourself to be open to anything that your friend may have planted on that machine, to eavesdrop on you, or even have it loaded with so much malware, that you definitely want to do a clean install, before you use it.

Edited by Greg62702, 10 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#3 343life

343life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks dude

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

You may not have to order disks if you did not get any. Most computers have a recovery partition and as long as it has not been tampered with or removed it can be used to restore the system to factory condition. Obviously this applies only to off the shelf systems. A custom system would need a Windows install disk.

#5 343life

343life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Yeah unfortunately I don't have any windows discs. So there's a way to reinstall windows without one?

Edited by 343life, 10 January 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Please post the manufacturer/model number of the computer.

#7 ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Perhaps more about Queen Evie's suggestion about a recovery partition...

In the CONTROL PANEL, I sometimes see an icon named something like "Build Recovery Disks".  This is a brand-name manufacturer's link to burning Win-Install Disks and, often, there is an option to do a full Windows re-install from that recovery-partition rather than burn disks. 

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

ChristineBCW, I would not even touch using the Recovery Partition, if the machine is infected.  Infections have been know to infect all partitions of the hard drive.  In this situation, it is better if the OP just contacts the Manufacturer, and orders the Recovery set.  Then do a complete wipe of the hard drive and fresh install of the OS.

#9 343life

343life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Please post the manufacturer/model number of the computer.

Ok it's an HP Envy 14t-1000 Notebook, Model Number: VX778AV

ChristineBCW, I would not even touch using the Recovery Partition, if the machine is infected.  Infections have been know to infect all partitions of the hard drive.  In this situation, it is better if the OP just contacts the Manufacturer, and orders the Recovery set.  Then do a complete wipe of the hard drive and fresh install of the OS.

I really don't think there's any viruses on this computer man, I've scanned it with Combofix, Rogue Killer, Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, and Avast.

Edited by 343life, 10 January 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Anytime someone gets a used computer the first order of business should be a reinstall of the operating system so you can make it your own.

At this time there is no indication of infection. You can use the recovery partition.

Follow the directions here:How to Perform an HP System Recovery. While the model name shown on the page is different from your laptop model the directions will still work. HP systems generally follow the same procedure.

You will want to choose the option to restore the laptop to factory condition. This should also install all the drivers. Using the recovery system will not ask for your Windows key. Make sure you have the power adapter plugged into the computer and the wall outlet before you start.

If you see something that you don't understand or have questions about anything you can cancel the install and come back here and ask. However, once the install does start you will have to let it complete.

Be patient while the reinstall is taking place. When finished, you can then install your antivirus, firewall, etc. There will be a lot of Windows updates also.

There was a weird program called hamachi which i think may have something to do with it.

This may be what you are referring to. http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/?ab=10

It's a program that allows two computers to connect to each other remotely. It has nothing to do with connecting to a network.

edit to add: you can create one set of recovery disks from the recovery partition. You can access that function by going to Start/All Programs and looking for any HP folders to see where the option is. If not in an HP folder it might be in one that has Security as part of it's name. I've formatted my HP using my Windows 7 disk so I don't have those folders and cannot give you the exact location.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 January 2014 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users