Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMART Short Self Failed, Windows 7 Won't Load

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 susanrs

susanrs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hi, folks -

It must be true that when it rains, it pours.  I had a little malware problem with a laptop the other day.  Now I've got another problem on an entirely different machine.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5300Y desktop that has been acting wonky the past few weeks.  I first noticed the machine was running pretty slowly... and was periodically kicking out messages that applications needed to be shut down because there wasn't enough memory to run them.  (The machine has only 2GB, but it's really only used for surfing the Internet.)

I ran the HP/Compaq hardware diagnostic tools and it came up with a fail on the SMART Short Self Test.  I rebooted and was able to get into the OS just fine.  A couple of days later, I ran the diagnostic tools again and the SMART Short Self Test passed.  So... I didn't think too much about it.

A few days later, I had trouble starting Windows... got a message saying Windows is unable to start.  So, I ran Startup Repair and was able to get into the OS.  I immediately started thinking maybe it was a virus/malware, so ran a bunch of scans with Avast! (pro version), Malewarebyte's Anti-Malware, rootkill, and a few others.  Stuff was detected, but the programs were able to remove the malware/virus.

This morning, however, I can't get into Windows at all. When I tried System Restore, I got a brief message about the D: drive being corrupt. Startup Repair can't fix the problem and keeps wanting me to run System Restore.  I've tried to restore back to four different restore points, but to no avail. Realizing that HP/Compaq puts the recovery programs on the D: partition, I figured I'd use my recovery disks instead.  I booted with the recovery disk, but still can't repair or load Windows.  I ran the hardware diagnostics tool from the recovery disk, though, and it came up with a fail on the SMART short self test again.

I'd REALLY like to avoid having to replace the hard drive if it's not necessary... so my question is this - When the SMART short self test fails, is it ALWAYS because the drive is bad?  Or could it be a virus that's trying to make me think the drive is bad?

What are my options and what steps should I take?

Thanks, everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Whoops... I forgot to add something.  A couple of times, system restore gave me the message... "your system was successfully restored...click here to reboot."  When I would click to reboot, however, it rebooted me to the screen that says "Windows was unable to start.  Click here for startup repair."

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi,

This sounds like your hard drive is failing, but I suggest running the diagnostics below to make sure:

The SeaTools For DOS diagnostic can be run on any hard drive.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the links, Toffee.  I'm not sure I can run the SeaTools now, though, as I don't think I have access to DOS.  

Late last night, I installed Puppy Linux on a 16GB USB stick and am running the computer with that.  Funny thing is, I am able to access files on the C: drive with Puppy.  If the hard drive had really failed... as opposed to a virus making it only SEEM as though it had failed... wouldn't I not be able to access anything on the C: drive?  

Thanks again!

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

You don't need DOS, if you have another computer and a CD you can make a bootable disk which the diagnostic is on.

I'm not sure about that, but I would say it's best to test for a failing hard drive, and S.M.A.R.T. data can indicate this. It possible they are two separate issues, but there's no point in cleaning if your hard drive is failing.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users