Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Disk Read Error

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 klunsford11

klunsford11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

I am *so* getting nowhere fast here!

I found the command prompt through start/run/cmd.  Thank you.  I also found a c:\ Dos prompt on the taskbar.  I tried the following command:

d:\i386\hal.dl_c\windows\system32

With D representing the drive that the Windows CD is on, I replaced the d with an x (because that's the drive as noted in Windows explore that the hiren's cd is running off of).  With c:\windows representing the drive and folder windows xp is installed on, I don't know what to use because I'm not sure where windows xp is installed. 

Windows Explore shows:

B: RamDrive

C: Local Disk

D: HBCD 15.2 (maybe this is where I'm messing up?  This is the CD drive.)

X: Mini Xp

I've tried a variety of combinations of the above command and get "No destination specified" messages every time. 

Thanks for your patience with me.  Obviously I'm not tech savvy.

Kimberly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Yes, what zingo156 wrote. Or you could just click on the black box icon by the Start button :D

mini%2Bwindows%2BXP%2BHiren%2527s%2BBoot

Mini XP is almost a clone of XP in Safe Mode. You have all the basic Windows XP functions, though file transfer and file manager functions are used by a utility program, not Windows Explorer, which is not present, and the GUI is limited to troubleshooting.

Do this first (could give you a solution much easier):

Click on cmd.exe (or click Start, Run, and enter "cmd.exe" (without"")and press Enter)

You should get a black box with a command line. Enter "chkdsk c: /r" (without "" and note the space after the : ) . If prompted "Do you wish to unmount drive" hit the Y key. The process can take anywhere from an hour to half a day, but occasionally check the progress:

If you see:

chkdsk.jpg

That means you have some drive corruption, but that it has been fixed. Not always the case, but this is a good sign, usually, since I've only seen 2 drives that still didn't work after seeing this message.

If you see this:

md2.JPG

Then you have more severe corruption. Once the chkdsk scan completes I would run it 2 more times and then try to boot normal.

A good(ish) scan result will look something like this:

06_windowscmds.png

Those are some of the most common things to look for. It's also worth noting that if the scan hangs on one file or one sector for more than 30 minutes it's a good chance the corruption is present.

#18 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

So sorry! Just read your latest post. Those instructions are for when you have the XP install Disc. However you can do the same method by pulling hal.dll from the driver cache.

in place of : d:\i386\hal.dl_c\windows\system32

use : c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

Don't forget the space between hal.dl_ c:\  and watch your syntax. the commands need to be keyed exact.

#19 klunsford11

klunsford11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for sticking with me on this one.  :)

When I boot the mini xp from hiren's and click on the black box to get the dos prompt it says:

X:\I386\System32> 

I've typed in the code you gave me as follows:

c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

This prompts the message:

'c:\windows\Driver' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Am I still missing a space?  Do you actually type in the underscore?  (I have been.  hal.dl_ space c:\windows )

Kimberly

#20 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Try this: (enter each one exactly, and press Enter after each)

c:

cd Windows

You should see C:\Windows\: on the command line now.

then key

chkdsk c:

This should give you a readout of the hard drive. This doesn't fix anything, but if you cannot complete any of these actions then it's likely that the drive is unusuable.

#21 klunsford11

klunsford11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I got it do "something" this go 'round.

"Warning F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 138.

(There were a ton of these errors.)

Index verification complete.

Errors found.

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

After that, I gave the chkdsk c: /r a go.  It has been running now for 15 hours and is only at 30% complete.  I'm not sure if it's hung up, or if it's still running. 

Kimberly

#22 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I do not think I have ever seen a chkdsk scan go that long. I wonder if your hard drive has bad sectors. I would run some kind of hard drive test to rule out the drive itself. Back up data to another drive from a bootable OS first if possible.

MHDD is free and is the one I use, but there are others out there that may be more simple to use: Spinrite for example though that is not free. Maybe some other users can suggest a few. I assume your drive is a western digital by the hardware name from bios you posted earlier, they have a free diagnostic utility you could run. Direct download here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/western_digital_dlg_diagnostics,1.html

I'm not sure if that western digital tool works from a bootable disc though. It ooks to be an exe which would mean you would have to hook the drive up to a booting computer, install the software and test the drive from there.

Edited by zingo156, 21 January 2014 - 12:25 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#23 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

If it hasn't moved past 30% in all that time then it's frozen. You will need to restart it, or not.

I've had hard drives that would never complete a scan. I pulled whatever data I could from them and they went in the "Destroy" box.

I see that it's a WD Caviar Blue 320 Gb drive. Not sure how much data you need to save, but you can get a 500gb WD Passport at the local Walmart. It connects via USB. You could probably do an entire clone of the hard drive, but I've never attempted that with a Passport before.

Using Hirens you should be able to access the drive in Windows Explorer (icon should be on the desktop) and select C: drive. Select Documents and Settings, then right click on the username that you are using. Select Properties, and it will give you the info including the size (in MB or GB) of all the user personal data.

You can do the same for C: drive, and if it's not to big you could possibly use a 32 GB USB thumbdrive to back up everything.

Good Luck!

Edited by Netghost56, 21 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#24 klunsford11

klunsford11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for your time and energy.  I feel like (with your help) I've done what I could to make sure it wasn't something easily fixable.  At this point I think I'm ready to just pull the plug and start looking for a replacement for my mother.  Make that, a replacement COMPUTER, for my mother.  :) 

Thanks again, so much!

Kimberly   

#25 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

You're very welcome.

Due to the age of the system I think a new system would be a wise decision.

Don't forget, if there are personal files (photos, documents, etc) on the old drive you might be able to salvage them per my previous post.

#26 klunsford11

klunsford11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

I've been looking over those instructions.  It looks like I'll be able to use a thumbdrive to back up what little she has stored.  (Whew!)  :)  Thanks again!  You were very helpful! 

Kimberly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users