Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore For Windows 98?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 j1mdandy

j1mdandy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

My computer has been running very slow and having problems shutting down and booting up. I have tried everything and now just simply want to restore my system back to a previous date. Is there a way to restore the system on Win98 as there is on WinXP? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

Unfortunately, there is no system restore in Windows 98. Windows ME and XP were the only Operating Systems lucky enough to get the system restore feature.

Computer slow...you may want to run through the suggestions in this topic - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44689/slow-computer/

Hope that helps.

Edited by Joshuacat, 08 May 2006 - 03:43 PM.

JC

#3 AngelicButtrfly

AngelicButtrfly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

You can restart your computor in MSDOS Mode then you must have it on C:/> make sure it is on that and not on A:/> when you have it on C: you type scanreg/restore, and you are able to pick the date back that you want your computor to be restored to. It works for windows 98 cause I have windows 98 and have done it myself. Hope this helps some. Good luck!!

#4 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Angelicbuttrfly that's a very good idea...thanx...

kenith :thumbsup:

Edited by kenith, 08 May 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

Scanreg/restore only restores a previous version of the registry, it doesn't restore any files as system restore does. Its' a nice feature and I wish they would have put that back in xp though. :thumbsup:
Just keep in mind any software that was installed after the restore date you choose will no longer function until you re-install it. It also effects updates as well. It's real main function was to get you out of trouble when windows wouldn't boot due to a corrupt registry.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

The other issue, is that by default it keeps up to 5 copies of your registry. I believe it does this once a day when the computer is booting up. Once you get 5 copies of your registry, it will go back and overwrite the oldest copy with the newer copy of your registry. If you haven't acted on an issue after the computer creates 5 registry backups, you are out of luck.
JC

#7 j1mdandy

j1mdandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help! I'm going to try it now. I'll re-post to let you know how it went.

#8 j1mdandy

j1mdandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well Josh was right. The registry restore only went back 5 days. Unfortunately, that was long after the problem started happening. I think I'll try posting a HJT log to see if someone can figure it out. Thanks again for the help.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

Okay, thanks for letting us know.

Good-luck.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic