Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Linux to format HD for clean reinstall of XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LesCm19

LesCm19

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I posted over on the XP forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520249/dilemma/ about being stuck in a reboot loop. Safe mode or using XP Pro disc not happening so booted into Linux on a memory stick to restore older registry files.

Still no good but anyway, there is nothing on the PC I want to retrieve as such, we just use it as a Minecraft server.

I know nothing about Linux but was wondering if I formatted the HD or some other drastic measure, would the XP disc work then? Or, more appropriately for this section of the forum, how would I do this with Linux if I went down this route?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

You can do this with Linux but I'm not sure it's required in this case :) .  If you set your BIOS to boot from your CD first you can do the same thing with your XP CD.   

However, in the other thread you mentioned that you had previously used that CD to restore the computer to the Factory settings.   Is it a full copy of XP (Retail or OEM) or a Factory Restore CD?

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#3 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Yes, the PC was an old one from a neighbour, just for use as a server. I used the XP PRO disc to get it back to a clean install as they didn't have all the restore discs. It was fine for a year or two until the recent Windows update/printer driver debacle.

The PC just doesn't recognize the CD as a bootable disc although it is in other PCs.

weird.

Thinking of getting another old PC off someone now! :unsure:

Edited by LesCm19, 10 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#4 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Can you get into the BIOS to ensure it's set to boot from the CD first before the hard drive?   That sounds like the problem.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#5 inactivecores

inactivecores

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, check your boot priority in the BIOS and make sure the CD drive is listed first before the HDD. However, I would look into getting a Linux distro on an older computer rather than a XP installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users