Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winbook N3 Having Conniptions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

The following occured about 30 minutes after completing an upgrade on my Winbook N3. I upgraded the Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro SP2.

I took the laptop out of it's bag and turned it on. The screen was extremely dim so I tried adjusting the brightness using the keyboards built-in control. This didn't help. When it booted into Windows my antivirus (Avast! Home) alerted me that something was wrong but I couldn't make out what it was saying on the screen.

I freaked out and forced a hard reboot. Upon booting, the screen still being very dim. I made out that there was an error registering the /System32/Software folder (or something to that effect) and that a memory dump was in progress. After completing the dump the system rebooted and I got the same error.

I connected a CRT monitor to the VGA port so that I could see what I was doing.

Then I booted from the System Resore disc that had Win XP Home and restored the computer. It booted into Windows, the screen was still very dim, and I received an error message that a driver was missing or an uninstallation did not complete. There was no indication as to which driver or program was having the error.

After truing to track down the error, I gave up tried to run the XP Pro upgrade again. It seemed to do fine but I still get same error message and the screen is still dim.

My next step is going to be to perform a low level reformat of the hard disk and a complete installation of XP Pro.

My questions are:
  • Could a virus have caused all these issues?
  • If so, could such a virus survive the reformatting done by the manufacturer's restore program?
  • Could it be causing the issue with the dim screen as well or is it the screen itself?
  • Could the virus be hiding im the system memory, and if so, could pulling the RAM chips clear the virus?
  • Are there any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

I had a power regulator for the LCD on my notebook fail. It did not go dim. It failed all at once. I could still use the external monitor much like you described.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

When I mean dim, I mean really dim! I had to sit in a pitch dark room to see the screen and it wasn't easy even like that. And it was quite sudden. Perhaps it has something to do with a BIOS setting because even during POST the screen barely lit up.

It's a moot point now, though because the screen has miraculously been restored. When I started it a little while ago to perform the low level format, it worked fine.

Now, as long as the installation of Win XP Pro goes well, I should be okay.

Does anyone know what kind of virus might do this?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 May 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

It sounds more like a driver issue to me. If I understand you correctly, you upgraded - not only from Home to Pro, but from SP1 (or earlier) to SP2. Is this correct? If so, be sure to download the current drivers from your manufacturers web site. A lot of drivers had problems with SP2 when it first came out, but for the most part there are new drivers to replace the problem ones now that SP2 has been out for a while.

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

Could a virus have caused all these issues?

Malicious software can cause all kinds of issues, both predictable and unpreditable issues.

If so, could such a virus survive the reformatting done by the manufacturer's restore program?

Yes, some can survive. If you need, I can post information concerning how to scrub your hard drive so that no infection can survive.

Could it be causing the issue with the dim screen as well or is it the screen itself?

Who knows? Could be either, or neither.

Could the virus be hiding im the system memory, and if so, could pulling the RAM chips clear the virus?

Viruses may RUN in memory, but so does everything else such as Windows. Viruses do not hide in memory. Disconecting the power from ram will erase everything in ram, this is why you must 'save' your work before shutting off your computer, because if you don't you will lose it as soon as the power is off.

Are there any suggestions?

Well, yes, follow my suggestions and let's see how it goes for you. If you reformat that may take care of the issue too if it is malware, as malware can interfere with the installation of SP2.

If you are saying that this issue started right after upgrading, then the odds of it being hardware related are slim. Too much of a coincidence, IMHO. It is probably related to the upgrade, drivers, or malware.

Let us know!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 May 2006 - 08:42 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:59 AM

Thanks, Albert you cleared a few things up. Primarily about upgrading Windows XP Home to Pro SP2 because that's just what I did! Once I did a low level format, reinstalled Windows Home from the restore disk, installed service pack 2, and then upgraded to Pro it worked fine! :thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: :trumpet: :cool:

ímuchas gracias!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users