Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ie Explorer Version 7.0?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

I don't understand what "Beta" means. It seems there's all kinds of new programs that have "Beta" on the end of it. One example is my hotmail email account. Now I understand there's an IE "beta", version 7.0. Do we want to download the new IE? What does that do to my toolbar...add things?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

BETA means it's still in it's testing phase. Not ready for final release and you're on your own.
Not a big fan of IE, though I sometimes use it.
I've always waited at least 6 months after the official release of IE just based on it's track record.
I'll probably try it sometime next year but I'm in no big hurry.
Not knocking BETAware, had some good stuff. Using a BETA version of Opera 9 right at the moment and have had no problems as of yet.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 May 2006 - 03:16 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

Microsoft's Beta releases are generally not reliable. Unless you enjoy troubleshooting, testing software, and are somewhat computer savvy, wait for the public release. In any case, do not rely on any Beta release for any "misson critical" uses.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Thanks so much for this info. I sure was tempted, but hearing what you've had to say...I think I'll skip it!!

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

Software goes through two phases of testing, Alpha and Beta.

Alpha is in-house testing done by the creator on their own test computers.

Corrections and revisions are made to the software and then it is released into the real world in a controlled fashion in what is known as Beta testing. So, by their nature, Beta versions can be buggy.

Then more corrections and revisions are made, until finally the creator is happy enough with the end product to actually release the software to the general public.

Even at this stage some software is buggy. Remember when XP first came out? I suppose there will be bugs in Vista when it is finally released as well. But a responsible manufacturer will continue to make changes to the software, and give those updates to all it's customers for years to come.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

I have written about Beta releases and how they fit into a project life-cycle in my Blog, if you want further information:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/jgweed/index.php?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

Computer programs used to come in different stages. An Alpha release was one that was still being tested but wasn't ready to release to anyone. A Beta release was one that needed some "fine-tuning" before being released to the public.

Since that time these boundaries have become blurred. There's pre-Beta's, Consumer Technology Previews, etc. FWIW - if you want stability, stay away from Beta's.

But, if you're technologically inclined, a Beta can offer you a chance to use technology in it's earliest stages. I've been a beta tester for many years and have quite a few good stories to tell about the experience. But there's also a few horror stories to go with it!

The problem with Beta's (for the average user) is that they require a decent amount of research before installing them. Just slapping a Beta onto your system is asking for trouble - how will you know what's a bug and what isn't?

As for the IE7 Beta, I've tried it and didn't like it. And, it hosed my system so that I couldn't revert back to IE6 (my primary browser in Firefox). Luckily I maintain system backups for just such an emergency - so I was able to revert back to my latest backup without any loss of data. Finally, FYI, I uninstalled the IE7 Beta using Total Uninstall (rather than the built in uninstaller) and that may have had something to do with the inability to revert to IE6).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Try Firefox, which most computer buffs think is far better than IE for browsing anyway.
(You still need IE for Windows Updates, web based scans and other sites that need Active X)

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:49 AM

i installed IE7 Beta and had problems so i took it off then i had to re-install windows. I always wait for FINAL releases now learnt a lesson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users