Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM pro - Real Time Protection.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 C. Fraser

C. Fraser

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

I just purchased Malwarebytes  pro version (been using the free version for years), because I wanted the real-time protection option. I've been reading some of the pinned topics on protection in these forums, but it is a lot of information to go through, but my question is:

Do I still need to use an anti-virus program with real-time protection along with malwarebytes?

This is a new computer, a couple of months old, and I had been using a free trial of Norton to start with. I have removed Norton, and as mentioned above, purchased Malwarebytes pro. Just not sure if I need another security product to go along with it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

Hello,

Do I still need to use an anti-virus program with real-time protection along with malwarebytes?

This is a new computer, a couple of months old, and I had been using a free trial of Norton to start with. I have removed Norton, and as mentioned above, purchased Malwarebytes pro. Just not sure if I need another security product to go along with it.

Thanks.

The short answer is yes, you should install another antivirus;

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

An anti-virus program alone does not offer enough protection and does not provide comprehensive protection. It cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected.

Anti-virus and anti-spyware (anti-malware) programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and malware detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. In simplistic terms, an anti-virus program will focus on virusesworms andTrojans while an anti-spyware program tends to focus more on spywareadware and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs)?. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Some vendors also add a modifier or additional information after the name that further describes what type of malware it is.

Why should you use both Anti Virus and Anti Spyware Software?
Antivirus and Antispyware Software: What's The Difference?
Differences Between Antivirus & Anti-Spyware
What Is the Difference Between Antivirus & Antispyware?

Credit to quiteman7, you can read the whole topic here.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

From MBAM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520331/mbam-pro-real-time-protection/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 C. Fraser

C. Fraser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Excellent! Thank you for the reply.

As a followup, running both an anti-virus (haven't chosen one yet) and malwarebytes both in real time should cause no conflicts, then? 

(posted my question while the second reply was being posted. Answered my question, thanks!)

Edited by C. Fraser, 10 January 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,071 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

No, there should not be any conflicts between antivirus and antimalware as they do different jobs, and MBAM is designed to work along side antiviruses. Many users that run MBAM Pro use it along the side their antivirus as extra protection.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

And again as back up to Toffee

Malwarebytes AV Compatibility Report
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 C. Fraser

C. Fraser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Great, thanks for the replies and links.

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,071 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

You are welcome.

xXToffeeXx~

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Here is some information about Malwarebytes itself you may find useful.

The full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware, Stopping Malware Distribution at the Source. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module in the Pro version and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. An outgoing IP alert indicates that a process on the system tried to load a malicious IP and was prevented from loading content. No action is required unless you're also experiencing malware symptoms or there are multiple IPs. A browser does not have to be running...just an active Internet connection with processes running. Notification that an outgoing IP address has been blocked does not necessarily mean the computer is infected. Some legitimate programs on your computer (i.e. iTunes, Instant Messenger client, SKYPE, P2P software, web browsers) have access to the Internet and that action can trigger an IP alert if it tried to access a malicious IP address. Your firewall should be able to give you a list of such programs so you can confirm if they are legitimate. IP alerts are also triggered by banner ads running on websites.

For information about Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection), please refer to:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 C. Fraser

C. Fraser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the information, quietman7. It will be good to learn more about the program.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

You're welcome.

#12 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hello,

I just purchased Malwarebytes  pro version (been using the free version for years), because I wanted the real-time protection option. I've been reading some of the pinned topics on protection in these forums, but it is a lot of information to go through, but my question is:

Thanks.

Hi

I'm also an MBAM Pro user and have been running it simultaneously with Norton 360 AV on 2 Windows 7 x64 PC's for about 14 months with no conflict issues.

As other posters have mentioned, MBAM Pro is a good complimentary tool to use alongside your AV product to increase your protection against specific malicious infections in addition to detecting many PUP's.

PUP = "Potentially Unwanted Program".   More info from the MBAM Knowledge Base - PUP's

Some advice about this topic around the 'net:

I've learned that this is a hot-button topic, particularly over at the Norton Forum.  Some members there recommend avoiding MBAM Pro (paid real-time version) since, they contend, it conflicts with Norton AV products, thus increasing the chances of allowing an infection into one's PC due to the 2 tools conflicting for ownership when a malicious threat is detected.

However, when asked for Symantec (Norton) lab test data and specific incidences where Norton AV customers have become infected specifically due to proven conflict issues as a result of using MBAM Pro with a Norton AV product, no data or examples of such infections as yet have been made available at their forum to substantiate the claims of conflicting issues.

When one reads about the methodology of MBAM's scan engine at the MBAM Forum, provided from staff members, and compares it to Norton, the 2 tools are using different scan techniques so as to avoid conflict scenarios.

Since MBAM Pro is not scanning using the same method as AV products, it's not considered as a conflict in the same way that running 2 AV products would result in conflicting scanners on one's PC.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Norton prefers to have exclusive rights to system security so they advise folks not to use anything else to help ensure this.

Besides if any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

#14 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Norton prefers to have exclusive rights to system security so they advise folks not to use anything else to help ensure this.

Besides if any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

2qi4ppz.jpg .

It seems to be such an individualized issue, whether exclusion lists are required in one's AV.  I haven't had to use any exclusions yet with Norton and MBAM pro.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

But its nice for folks to know that type of support is available if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users