Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fukashima time to look at the problem

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

It is high time everyone Googled Fukashima all must be informed of what we are facing, the media is mum on what is going on.  I have been studying it for nearly a year, no news about 3-4 hundred tons of radioactive water being released into the Pacific DAILY.  No mention of the recent explosion at plant 3, no mention of not eating any sea food from the Pacific.  They are now admitting it is ten times worse than Chernobyl, California authorities are down playing the high radiation at beaches.  The link below will get you thinking, has me wondering about our Governments fears of mass panic!  Like it or not we should be informed!

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+radiation+at+california+beaches&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 musicnutt

musicnutt

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

there is even radio active snow in places like boston  NYC st.louis just  to name a few its time the gov and the press tell the truth

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

You say California authorities? You fail to mention 3 other states on the left coast. Why does California get singled out? With that sort of cherry picking of information to point at just California, is the rest of the information as selective? I'm not disagreeing there may be an issue. But comprehensive facts encompassing the entirety if the issue should be presented.

You have Alaska with roughly 6600 miles of coastline, not mentioned. You have Oregon with almost 300 miles of coastline. There is Washington with about 150 miles of coastline. You totally left out Hawaii with 750 miles of coastline and thousands of miles closer to Japan.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

No question it is far more reaching, I just used that one article as a single point.  The is hours and hours of reading with coast line areas affected all the way down to Chile, and as mentioned above rain and snow all the way to the east coast.  IMO it is time to get past sovereignty, the world powers should take over Japan is not handling it properly.  They are now not allowing any media coverage!

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The biggest problem is the combination of that circulating trash pile and the thousands of tons of debris washed into the ocean that is suspended hundreds of feet below the surface.  When that mass hits the west coast, there will be hysteria, no doubt.  This floating pile of garbage and contaminated soil is also having a profound affect on the weather.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

And it is quite shocking how after we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that our Navy was banned from operating their Nuclear Powered vessels within any port on Japan, yet Japan had Nuclear Reactors on their soil. This should be a lesson to those who tout Nuclear Power as a safer and cleaner energy then fuel or coal. I hope that no one on the west coast of the US and Hawaii comes into contact with their dirty water that is coming our way for fear of new diseases and illnesses that could be brewing it. Could be looking at the major viral or fungi mass killers in the water. If I were the west coast, I would be lobbying the EPA and our Counterparts in Canada and Mexico to set up Nuclear, Bio, and Chemical sensors way out into the ocean for studies. I say about 50nm from shore, and make a joint effort to combat whatever is coming. They should also employ US Naval Research vessel's to drudge the waters about 500 to 1000 feet below the surface and perform studies on it.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

The problem is they are still hiding so much, if the true/honest information was provided to ALL then steps would be taken.

The information is out there it should be spread to all!

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+studies+on+fukashima&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

#8 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Google:  Starfish deaths on west coast for the mass slaughter of more and more species of starfish.  PBS program says scientists are curious as to how it could be happening; I'm curious as to how scientists can't grasp at the obvious.  It's a scary piece.  Scientists are looking for the "disease" causing this extinction.

Edited by MissLizz, 02 February 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Just more of the mass silencing, I truly believe they are very worried about mass panic if the truth was told.  I have said this before it is high time the world experts took this situation over, Japan is not doing very well.  Just recently I read an article where they have now put a states secrets law into effect silencing there media on the subject.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/05/whistleblowers-japan-crackdown-state-secrets

The TRUTH: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

#10 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Do you follow Greenpeace?  They do extraordinary things in a fight to help our oceans, not for themselves but posterity, and they don't get the big bucks for it.  I truly had little idea of what they did until I watched a Bill Moyers interview with International Executive Director of Greenpeace Kumi Naidoo.  This Rhodes scholarship recipient is our modern day Captain Ahab as far as dedication to a goal.  The people are out there doing what they can.  There just needs to be many, many more of them doing for us what we can't do.

I'm aware this is off the subject of pollution, but our oceans are being broken on all fronts.  If the sea hunters don't get you, the pollution will.

Edited by MissLizz, 02 February 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

From a San Francisco Bay area network news outlet. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/01/31/internet-postings-stoke-bay-area-fears-of-nuclear-fallout-from-japan-fukushima-disaster/

I only excerpted the last part of the article for the quote below. I particularly like the last sentence.

<quote>“I mean we are living in a world which is radioactive,” he explains matter-of-factly. “We still see Cesium 137 back from the atmospheric tests in the 40s & 50s. We still see that. It’s, in a way, part of our natural background now.”

It’s a natural background so rich and complex that tracking cesium from Fukushima isn’t so much a task of measuring it, but parsing it out from what’s already there.

Of course, not everyone is convinced by Vetter’s assurance that, for now, Fukushima presents no health threats on the West Coast. There is widespread distrust of scientists that some see as too closely related to the nuclear power industry. Vetter admits he receives much of his funding from the Department of Energy, but he insists he has no reason to misrepresent his findings.

“That’s a very good question,” he admits. “Trust is something very precious. I certainly live in California. I have family here in California. I’m also concerned about my family, my neighbors and my friends. If you don’t want to trust us, who is it you want to trust?”</quote>

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

I read that Oklahoma was hit with radioactive rain, Googling brought the results below.  Mostly provided by fringe groups but can they all be wrong?  It goes on page after page.  I was at a Super Bowl party last night someone brought the issue up, I was quite surprised how many felt it was true and there was a massive cover up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oklahoma+City+hit+with+DANGEROUS+RADIATION+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=Oklahoma+City+hit+with+DANGEROUS+RADIATION&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&start=0

http://enenews.com/fukushima-reactor-cores-melt-china-syndrome-gone-earth-1500-pounds-plutonium

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

More info!

http://www.nukefree.org/

#14 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

In my younger years there were numerous thing the experts told us couldn't possibly be, such as the atom could never be split,  facial sinuses that could become inflamed, continental drift and plate tectonics, the jet stream, black holes (out then in and now out again), traveling faster than sound.  Also, with media hype as strong as it is, I try to check the date of the announcement first since much is rehashed under "Breaking News".    I will admit I was astounded at the size of the starfish lifted from the bay into boats - some of those creatures were a double armload for a man.  Huge.   I trust PBS and National Geographic.

Edited by MissLizz, 03 February 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just to put things in perspective:
  • your "dangerous rain" is 2 years old.
  • It was one guy doing a measurement on a trash can, you have no idea what was in the trash can before, you have no idea how his geiger counter is calibrated and you have no idea if he even knows how to use it, besides which the measurement is extremely short and therefore bound to be very imprecise. Not mentioning that you don't know what the normal or average radioactive background is in his area.
  • The average normal annual dosis of radiation everybody collects is 2.7 Millisieverts, 2700 times more than in that rain. That 1.6 Microsievert measured is the equivalent of eating 15 bananas or getting 6 security screenings at the airport. It's less than a mammogram and about a thousandth of the radiation you'd get from a CT or a PET scan.
  • More radioactivity after or during rainfall is completely natural, it comes from the heavier elements that are accumulated in the rain drops and then are dropping down with the water they're enclosed in.
  • A rate of 1microsievert/hour is the average for a rain fall.
The reason none of the major news outlets have taken this "radioactive rain" up as a news item, is because it is not news... It's normal every day activity. For more information see: http://www.livescience.com/18622-radioactive-rain-natural.html

What happened in Fukushima is very bad, there's no doubt about and their information policy is even worse. But senseless hyping of any radioactive measurement is just as bad. If you want to inform yourself stop reading only the media that agrees with you and try reading some neutral or even opposing articles to balance things out.
The radioactivity on the west coast comes from radio active isotopes that were not produced in the Fukushima meltdown which would also explain why the coasts that are so much closer to Japan than the US weren't hit by this "radioactive onslaught". Again, this is why most major outlets are only reporting on the internet paranoia linked to the measurement and not the measurement itself.

This is an interesting read that gives you perspective on the numbers of radioactivity in the ocean we're talking about: http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/09/04/solving-the-fukushima-radioactivity-problem-dump-it-all-into-the-ocean/
I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion, but I have no better solution to offer either.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users