Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something weird has happened...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hello and thank you for reading this post, I appreciate your time.

What's the problem?

A few days ago (less than a week) my microphone just stopped working. So, I thought it was a broken microphone so I tried it on my dads laptop but, the microphone worked perfectly. I then came to believe that it was my microphone port so I bought an external audio card and plugged the microphone into that. The problem still occoured, it detected the microphone. As it detects the microphone it get life for about 1 second then dies. However, the unusual thing is, when someone else talk and the microphone is plugged in, the levels will move (See attached video for better explanation).

Is there a way to fix this, is it my microphone or can I never use a microphone again on this computer?

Thank you, Stay safe. The attached video will be added soon.

*Video* - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYOjTGNScrc

Edited by Maxey243, 10 January 2014 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Not sure if this will help. Right click the speaker in the system tray. Select Playback Devices. Click Speakers and select Properties. Click the levels tab. Is the microphone setting muted?

If that does not work, open Control panel and in the search box type Troubleshooting. Then click Troubleshooting and then under Hardware and Sound select audio recording problems.

Here is a good link on stepping through the problem.

#3 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

I had the microphone working for a while and it recognised my voice fine but every now and then it would make a large crackling noise and then eventually, not detect voice any more. Is this a bad mic, would I be better getting a new one? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I can't be sure but you can buy a very chip mic on ebay to see if it is your mic. In your first post, you said the mic worked fine on your father's computer.

#5 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Tomorrow I am having a friend come over with their headset and then I will know if I have to get a new one or not. I'm hoping that the headset it the problem here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users