Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing WIn2000 on top of existing Win2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbclem

jbclem

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

My Windows 2000 installation has developed some problems that I'd guess are related to some kind of file or registry corruption. The bootup is very slow, opening explorer choices takes forever...ie: any time a drop down menu opens to choose/point to a certain file or folder, there is an unnatural lag finding the folder. I wonder if I can re-install Windows 2000 on top of this existing installation as a way to try to correct these kinds of problems. Can this be done without mucking up the existing programs that are generally working normally. Or is there a better way to refresh an aging Windows 2000 installation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 valerian

valerian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Sounds like your cpu is running high ? Did you install any programs before this started to happen ? If so remove the program and reboot.

Anyway if you can`nt find any reason in task manager back up your data to an external HD and do a clean reinstall instead of trying to install on top of what may be a corrupted system.

I once had Threatfire on my win 2k pc and the cpu cycles went crazy grinding it to a halt. All was ok as soon as I removed it and yet Threatfire runs smooth on my other win 2k ?

Maybe boot to safe mode with networking, update and run Malwarebytes just incase.

#3 jbclem

jbclem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

I check Task Manager many times each day, if there was a misbehaving program or unfamiliar file I would simply get rid of it and fix this problem.  But the only cpu hogs I see are web sites...anyway, that's not the problem here, the explorer menus open/find folders very very slowly whether I'm on the internet or not.  And that wouldn't explain the very long bootup times I'm experiencing.

The problem with a clean install is the many many hours I'd have to spend re-installing and setting up the many many programs I use.  I'm already doing that on a 2nd boot installation on this computer, and eventually I'll reach the point where this corrupted installation becomes moot.  But for now, I'd really like to find away to fix the two problems I've mentioned.  It would be great to have a boot logging program that lists the boot time for each file as it loads...like XPbootlog, which unfortunately won't run in Windows 2000. 

And I'd like be able to figure out what goes on when I try to open a folder and it takes forever...why is it so hard for explorer to find a folder and open it, is explorer.exe corrupted or is there something wrong with the mechanism by which it searches for the folder?

And my original question, can I just re-install Windows 2000 over the existing installation?  That would be easy to do if it would still keep all the original associations.

#4 valerian

valerian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

I just remember that dual boot systems never went smooth for me, always some sort of problem happening along the line.

Why not go through your system utilities i.e. defrag, disk check, restore of registry , uninstalling anything you installed prior to the slow down etc just incase before embarking on anything drastic ?

Sorry that I`m not much help in this matter but do post back if anything gets resolved or not.

Hope it works out what ever you do.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi

To your original question, yes it is possible to do a repair install just like XP.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/Repair/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users