Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 7 dont boot, f8 dont work,got error: "Disk read error. Press ctr+alt+del...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azhieree

azhieree

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

Here i am again, complaining about my system..

As my previous topics, this one i think is more serious as i cant boot nor open up advance boot options(f8 dont work). As soon the manufacturers logo show off, an error: "Disk read error. Press ctr+alt+del to resatrt." It remains unless i press shutdown. Power on and it still shows the same.

I havent finished the download of the iso(to be used as a recovery method) thats why i opt for another way which is to recover a backup copy of my registry(which iv done by manually exporting it).  However, i have encrypted it before with my administrative user account. Now, im not able to decrypt it via cipher or keys as if i run: "cipher /c thatfilename.reg" it informs me that only the user(my account) and certificate thumbprint can decrypt it. No found backup certificate or keys. Bad for me i dont know how to recover it via the certificate thumprint....

My last option that i try is use EaseUs Data Recovery Wizard, which i have googled about tools that can decrypt files...

Glad it runs even im only using the recovery console. I installed it on my memory card(as my pc can still detect it). Im new to this tool and still dont know what should i click on for a spedific purpose. But i have tried the partition recovery, since im thinking that maybe it could still detect missing/lost files on the drive by which windows is installed..  It search then rebuild directories for more than 4 hours. remaining time is already at 00:00:00 but it still dont show the next step...Though im still waiting for it, i went out a while then when i came  back my pc has been shutdown. I dont know if power interruption happened or it requires startupm or its part of its task. I tried to open up my pc then rerun the easeus data recovery wizard, but this this i use the manual(...blah blah) then selected the c:drive). However the same procedures are showing. It is already on "Rebuilding Directories....." but since my pc is already working more than half a day, i thought it will overheat so i have clicked the stop button, assuming it will work as a cancel button(no other button except for close dialogbox and stop button is available). Then i retried the system restore once again from the advance recovery options. But again, it fails to extract the copy of the registry backup i have exported. As expected, my pc tried to restart on its own. But this time, f8 is useless and i got the error "Disk read errors. press ctrl+alt+del" which if i do does nothing...Additionally, it is playing an annoying beeping sound..

Now i realized how i am really stupid ignoring "Rebuilding directories"... 

Edited by azhieree, 10 January 2014 - 04:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Since the drive still works you might want to give SpinRite a try.  This isn't free and will probably run for days before it fixes your problems.  I do not see you getting your data back any other way since it is encrypted.  Encryption is great for keeping information private, but I've see a whole lot of data lost due to encryption.  In the end only you can say how much your data is worth.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't believe that SpinRie or anything else...will overcome the encryption issues...other than the use of the proper key.

Louis

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

SpinRite isn't to over come the encryption issues.  It is to get the disk to the point where he can log back in again.  Personally I've never allowed it to run long enough to fix a severe problem.  But, I have run it on a drive that failed the manufacturer's diagnostic and it would not fail after.  I have SpinRite only as another tool in the box.

I'm waiting for the next update, which will be free to current users, that is supposed to speed it up where it will be usable on my 3TB drives.  Right now the only time I can run a maintenance on my drives is when I'm on vacation for a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users