Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot order resetting, harddrive goes missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

I recently built a computer and yesterday I installed Ubuntu 13.10 onto it. I got some weird issues tho.

Here's the build:

• Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro 4
  • Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz
  • Kingston HyperX Blu 4096MB DDR3 PC-12800 1600MHz
  • BitFenix Phenom Micro-ATX
  • FSP Group PowerSupply (PSU) FSP400-60APN 400W (Bulk)
  • OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

At first I plugged the SSD into a Sata 3 slot but this didn't work as Ubuntu wouldn't find it (but it would show up in UEFI). So I moved it to a Sata 2 slot and I could finally install Ubuntu.

The problem is when rebooting ubuntu. Sometimes the boot order gets reset. I got a 2TB HDD on SATA_1, a 1TB on SATA_3 and the SSD on SATA_5. I've set the SSD on highest boot order in UEFI but at some point this is reset to once again have the 2TB HDD as highest priority. At some occasions the SSD isn't even in the list and I have to reboot again for UEFI to list it.

Other times it would boot until it gets to GRUB but leaves me with only the purple background. After pressing reset I usually manage to come inte GRUB normally. Then after GRUB the problems continue. Sometimes Ubuntu will fail to find the root file system (located on the SSD, the boot manager is also on the SSD) and leave me in busybox and I have to reboot again and then it usually boots normally.

This is a pretty big issue as I intend to use it as a file and media server so I need to be able to reboot it remotely and be certain it will reboot properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Is the boot order as intended in the BIOS?  If this is related to GRUB, you may want to post in the Linux section of Bleeping Computer.

3939.png

#3 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Is the boot order as intended in the BIOS?  If this is related to GRUB, you may want to post in the Linux section of Bleeping Computer.

As I said, it keeps resetting randomly, I don't know why. The UEFI setup tool only allows for 1 of each type of device in the boot priority and has a separate setting for harddrive priority. I keep setting the boot priority to the OCZ SSD but every 2 restarts or so it's back on one of the Samsung HDDs. If I go into the harddrive priority list, when this has happened the SSD is either on the last priority and I have to reorder it or not in the list at all and I have to shutdown the computer, start it and go into UEFI again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users