Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't boot into XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 netartian

netartian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hello all.  I'll try to be as brief and concise as possible.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm running a Dell computer with XP Professional SP3.

I was infected with a rootkit (hijack.shell32).  I believe I sucessfully removed the infection.  Daily scans over the last several day with Malware Bytes and Hitman Pro have detected no problems and Avast is running normally.  The computer has been running great and starting up in normal mode with no problems.  I performed all the disinfection processes in normal mode. This is where I made a grave error.  After disinfection, I decided to change the startup options in msconfig to boot to safe mode on startup.  On restart, I got the BSOD.  I turned off the computer and restarted using F8 which brought me to the normal safe mode startup screen.  I selected start normally.  Again, I got the BSOD.  I restarted numerous times using F8 and trying all startup options including "last known configuration that worked".  Every option results in the BSOD.

I'm assuming the rootkit somehow deleted the registry file(s) necessary to start in safe mode.  So now I'm stuck with a machine that won't boot at all.

I inserted my XP installation disk and started up in the recovery console.  Attempted to run the "bootcfg /rebuild" command.  This would not complete and was prompted to run check disk.  I then entered "chkdsk /p /r".  The check disk completed after about 1/2 hour.  I then attempted the "bootcfg /rebuild" command again.  Still unsuccessful.

Any ideas on how I can fix this problem without a full reinstall of XP and losing all my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

What does the BSOD say? Does it give a  stop error along with a file name?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users