Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista crash with a stackhash error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alwhite

alwhite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

I was cleaning a friend's HP with Vista Home Premium as the OS. This computer hadn't been maintained since it was new 6 years ago. I cleaned out 30 gigs just out of the recycle bin, not counting many junk programs downloaded through the years, empty files, etc. I ran scan disc, a registry cleaner and defragger and just basic housekeeping. Everything was working fine, computer ran much faster. I was running the final defrag, and during the middle of it, pop-ups from yahoo messenger and Nortons came up. I was sure they were both disabled but ???. I then got windowexplorer.exe. errors, my defragg quit, and the cursor keeps spinning like it's working and never stops and now doesn't work. The fault from windowsexplorer is fromStackHash.b7a6. I went into task mgr and tried to close out anything running. I still had the spinning cursor and error messages. I than started it in safe mode but the screen flashes like a strobe light. I than tried the recovery programs, no improvement but I was able to see the resource monitors and both the cpu and memory are at 100%, but the task manager doesn't show anything any processes or services using over 3-4%. I'm pulling out my hair because it's not my machine and I'm out of ideas. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

At this point, I would pull any files off the computer that your friend needs and then do an HP factory reset.  Then install all the Security Updates and Service Pack if required.

See Starting a recovery from the hard drive with the computer off.

#3 alwhite

alwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the idea. I downloaded 32-bit Windows 7 and saved their personal files. They got a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and they are now very happy. I just did not want to lose their files. It was much easier to do this than fixing Vista. I really felt like a jerk when everything crashed, I was trying to help out friends, not trying to make any money

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users